Chapter Three: who am I?

Sometimes, life can hit you with a blow you can never get used to or arise from. The sort of shock life gave me was beyond comprehension. After I froze the water at mom's place, I didn't see any changes again for months. November, December, and January… but it came back in the first week of February.

   I was invited to a pool party at Jena McGee's. A crazy rich celebrity friend who throws the best parties. I wore a sunflower-printed bikini and yellow shorts, and a light fur coat over the bikini and shorts to cover my body. I can never stop marveling over her house, she and her sister, especially Raquelia. Raquelia was Jena's cousin-sister was a different person altogether. Her beauty and superiority were out of this world. She'd won all the big four pageants and had been the most beautiful American woman for years and one of the biggest Hollywood stars. Everything about her could be compared to a goddess and to make it even more enviable, she was married to one of the biggest stars in Hollywood and America.

  Then there was Jena herself. Nothing compared to their beauty and power and yet, these powerful people liked me.

   "Arabel!" She squealed when I walked into the pool yard. With a smile on my face, I walked toward her and embraced her. She was still beautiful and young even after four kids. She moved and talked with enthusiastic grace, authority, and power. Sometimes, I wondered if she was human.

   "You made it! I was worried you wouldn't come."

   "I will never miss a chance to party with a friend that has your name tagged to it."

   "Oh?" She asked, placing her hands on her hips. "you missed my weddings anniversary, missed my birthday, the kids' birthdays, the Christmas party last year—"

   "Okay, I get it," I said with a nervous chuckle. "I'm sorry I've gone under the radar for months, but I missed hanging with you and the girls."

   "Aww! You've got me blushing like a crazy moony girl," she said fanning her cheeks. I chuckled. She's too easy to please. "Is it me or is your skin glowing?" I looked at myself and shrugged. I looked more pale than bright but okay. "Beautiful,"

   "How're the kids? Gemma and her younger ones?"

   "Fighting to turn my hair gray, that's for sure," she said frowningly.

   "Heh heh, wanna tell me why you"re holding a pool party in the early week of February? It's cold for people," people that weren't me. I seemed to have developed a strong cold tolerance.

   "What can I say, I'm abnormal," she said playfully. I smiled and stared at the massive pool, at the people dancing and having fun in it. So many celebrities I hate. So many I'd hooked up with.

   "Hey, hot legs, you finally came!" One of the models I hate the most shouted. I rolled my eyes and Jena chuckled.

    "How can you keep the water warm in this weather?" I asked, staring at the sky as it cloud up. Jena giggled diabolically, causing me to look at her instead. She gave me a bold, mischievous smirk and a wink.

   "As I will always say, I'm an unquenchable fire," she said winkingly. I chuckled. "Won't you go in?" I shivered at the thought. Recently, touching hot water hurt hurts me.

   "No, I'm good," I smiled.

   "Jena, the water is getting too hot, do you want to cook everyone?" The sweetest voice in the universe huffed. The goddess of beauty and kindness herself. I turned and smiled at the extravagant and extraordinarily beautiful Queen of the US, Raquelia Catania McGrath, or rather McKnight now. Always so quiet, sophisticated, and elegant. A true work of art. She was the queen by beauty. Would still be Miss Universe if she didn't quit.