Chapter Twenty-three: not yet

Cyrus's POV

   I paced around in the training arena while yanking my hair. The men looked at me with worry and concern because their Alpha was running mad. It's my fault that she got captured, my fault that she ran out of the manor and into the forest because I pushed her away. I couldn't protect her, I couldn't protect my mate and I still couldn't figure out why I let it happen. My useless temper and selfishness made me ignore her for weeks because of her exes when I had many.

It's my fault.

It's my fault.

   "So stupid, stupid, stupid!" I said, hitting my forehead aggressively.

   "Cyrus, please calm down," mom said anxiously.

   "I can't! I just murdered my mate with my stupid and childish temper. I can't calm down," I cried. "I don't even know why I got mad over something as stupid as the number of men she has been with. I mean, she's fucking twenty-eight, what was I expecting from her?!"

   She sighed. "She'll be fine, son. I know…"

   "Don't fucking tell me that, mother!" I yelled, "don't tell me that she'll be okay because you know she won't. I know you're trying to make me feel better but I'll also appreciate it if you don't lie to my face," I spat disdainfully, though to myself. "We don't even know who took her, we just know she was taken away. The scent of the intruder can't be tracked and it's obvious that magic is involved in this. I've hired three witches and none of them can break the damn spell placed on the scent! Tell me, how on earth is she going to be fine?!!!"

   "Cyrus, stop yelling at mom," Cyra snapped irritably, "it's not her fault you're an idiot," I glared at her but she wasn't done, she glared at me right back. She was also an alpha female and a Luna, so glaring back at me was never a challenge for her, especially when she was as angry as I was. "Listen here, big brother," she said sardonically, "no one here is responsible for th–" An abrupt force of flame collided on the ground, in the form of a massive fire devil. The force caused a shockwave that threw off most of the people around. Luckily, we were far from the fire devil and we were fortunate that it appeared in a space with no people. The flames continued to burn, spinning furiously but not moving.

   Everyone moved back, lining up against the walls to get away from the heat as much as possible. The flame swallowed itself as abruptly as it started, dropping and morphing into the form of a woman. The flame slowly turned to flesh, bare flesh covered by blue fire. The blue flame snaked around her body like a dress, covering her nakedness—barely. Her head remained a ball of fire with three holes signifying her eyes and her mouth. She was either a conjured-up tool or she didn't want us to see her face. I couldn't perceive any murderous intent from her, I couldn't perceive anything at all.

   "Hello, Cyrus," she said, her voice echoing in the large space.

   "And you are?" I asked warily.

   "Who I am is none of your business, Alpha," a growl rumbled in my throat as the temper increased in me. "There it is again, that unreasonable temper. You need to control it. This is what led Arabel to the current situation," she snapped. My shoulders dropped at the mention of my mate's name. At that point, I didn't know if I should be angry or concerned.

   "Who are you?" I asked again.

  "I'm an unquenchable fire," she said cheekily. "And I'm here to help you only because Quelly insisted I do, and because I can't let my friend die for your stupidity. I will lead you to her but I can't promise you that she will be alive when you get there, so don't blame me."