Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Meeting of Leaders.

Hudson:

The mattress creaked as she jerked awake, her eyes wet with tears. Collapsing into my arms, her fingers gripping my t-shirt as teardrops soaked my shoulders. I had no clue what went wrong, but she was really shaken up. Leaping out of our bed, she crashed into the hall. Chasing after her, Gabrielle ducking out of the way as she crashed into Peony's room. Leaping onto her bed, it was Peony's turn to be annoyed with the clingy side of Evie. Protesting to no avail, her face shoved into her chest. Gabrielle chuckled softly to himself, his eyes never leaving them. Something had gone down, the bond between them had grown stronger than before. 

"Thank you for saving her." He thanked me graciously, bowing in my direction. "Give her this special map. It will tell her where all of the death stones are. Where would we be without Miss Evie? She is the glue that binds us all together, but I must warn you though. The commander of the hunters has declared war on her, and that isn't good. She is a bloodhound once she catches a scent. So the more of the death stone weapon holders you gather, the better chance of your survival. Also I took the liberty of arranging a meeting with the other alphas. Since we all associate with her, the targets are on our backs as well. Also, we should crush Marie while we can. Then we can begin talks of a treaty among all parties. That is what she wants right." His ocean blue eyes twinkled with a new sense of purpose, his blonde hair laying slightly skewed. Passing me the map, Evie was still smothering her.  Seeing her like this gave me hope for her broken heart.

"Did you really think that I wouldn't be affectionate back?" She taunted cruelly, her wicked grin growing wider. "How does it feel to be smothered with love and attention?" Flipping her over, Peony clutched her close to her chest. Her wicked grin matched Evie's defiant smile, discomfort apparent on Evie's face. Scarlet burned her cheeks, the bond between them quite apparent.

"If you think I will let my girlfriend down for one minute then you are wrong. Please let me smother your frozen ass." She teased lightly, poking her in the nose. "You are adorable, but you shouldn't worry about me. I will get over it eventually, but then you became my knight in shining armor. You were amazing. You stayed calm and collected when the reapers tore that girl apart, even begging them to spare her. Then you stood up to that royal bitch. It was like you heard my words about how we had become friends, so you did everything to save her." Smiling warmly at Peony, Evie shook her head.

"You killed her even though you liked her. You saved me, so consider your debt paid off." She chirped cheerfully, ruffling the top of her head. "You are my friend after all, aren't you? Hell, you even tried to kill me. That might seem a bit odd to hear, but most of my friends have tried to kill me." Fresh tears welled up in Peony's eyes, her grip on Evie growing stronger. Gazing up at her with tears pouring down her cheeks, an anxious look twinkled in her eyes.

"Do you mean it?" She asked sweetly, Evie wiping away her tears. "I would love it if you really mean it. People have always run away from me, and you were the first person to call me that. I don't deserve you." Cupping her face, shock rounded out Peony's eyes. Gabrielle shifted uncomfortably, his gaze intensifying in their direction.  Evie was about to teach her a lesson, Peony's trembling hands gripping the blanket.  

"Stop talking like that!" She shouted irritably, wiping away the steady stream of tears. "You are my friend, so don't you ever forget that. My whole childhood I was you. Everyone was mean and cruel to me. So please stay my friend no matter what. I care about you." A broken wail exploded from Peony's painted lips, her forehead resting against Evie's. Watching her comfort Peony warmed my heart, Gabrielle nudging my shoulder.

"Has she always had that ability to take down someone's walls that fast? It is almost as if she is an angel of some sorts." He commented gently, his quiet smile telling me that he had meant it. "What do you think?" My breath hitched at his words, Hell probably freezing over. Not once has he ever asked such a thing.