16: Gamer 🎮

Jungkook's POV

I gazed at Hangam Cyber cafe in front of me. "Can we do it?" I asked and turned to look at Jin beside me.

"Well, I don't know about you but I will. This is my field of expertise." He said, flipping his invisible hair and walking inside the cafe.

I scoffed and went behind him. "I also wanted to be a professional gamer when I was younger and I still play games."

"VR games?" Jin asked and I replied. "Yes what else-"

Our eyes widened to see five people sitting in front of computers with headsets on. Like old school gaming techniques.

We don't play on computers anymore. It glitches a lot.

Instead we play it on Virtual Reality. New technology, no glitches.

“Registration completed. Please take a seat on one of the computers and put on the headset.”

Jin and I exchanged glances before moving to a seat and putting on the headset. We were sitting next to each other. And there was a guy sitting next to me.

Three other players were sitting on the other side of our table.

The guy beside me, gave me a small smile and I smiled back until the dreadful mechanical voice was heard.

"The game begins now."

In the video game

"Dandelion, dandelion, ride the wind to a faraway land." The little fox chanted.

He blew the dandelion flower and sent the seeds flying. He then spoke in a more serious tone. "May my teacher's wishes ride in the wind and reach the Anemo Archon."

A wind blew past us and swept away the dandelion seeds. Did they fly to a better place, carrying my hopes and dreams there with them?

When did this happen?
Some time ago, behind the village, there grew a forest of countless lush trees. At the center of this forest was a small lake.

The lake was like the stained glass windows of the Mondstadt Cathedral: crystal clear and shimmering in the sunlight.

The sun shone through the treetops and glistened on the water's surface like fragments of gemstones. It was really something.

The weather was cool that day. I was hunting in the forest when I arrived at the lake's edge.

I became lost in thought as I stared at the glistening water. Walking transfixed along the lakeside, I had forgotten entirely that I was out for a hunt.

I came back to reality, when I heard the sound of something freezing up. It was a Mist Flower growing by the lake, having just frozen the water around it.

Next to it was a white fox, its tail frozen in the ice. Poor critter. "It must have had its tail in the water by the Mist Flower while it was drinking."

Mist Flowers are dangerous plants and can cause frostbite if handled without care.

Extreme caution must be taken when handling them.

As it saw me approach, the fox struggled in fear, but its still-frozen tail kept it rooted to the spot. The fox whimpered in pain.

"Oh no, this won't do."
I thought to myself.

"Poor critter. It's gonna die anyway if I don't save it, so I might as well end its pain by bringing it home as my game for the day."

I imagined what a delicious fox stew I could cook with the carrots I grew. Just thinking of the hot stew gave me energy and brought a smile to my face.

So I took out my hunting bow and slowly walked toward it.
"Be good and stay put."

I always chanted his words silently, so that my hands wouldn't shake when pulling the bowstring.

But just as I was about to release the arrow, the fox lifted its head and looked me straight in the eyes. It had eyes like the lake, glistening as if harboring fragments of gemstone within.

My head began spinning, as if a strong wind was blowing inside it. My arrow missed its target and instead smashed the ice, releasing the fox's tail. The fox raised its tail and looked at me once more before running off into the forest.

I came to my senses and began the chase - but who in this world can run faster than a fox?

Gradually, the fox began to shrink into the distance, eventually turning into a white spot.

"Hey! Don't go!" I chased the glittering white spot for hours on end. Suddenly, a chilling wind began to blow.

I stood there, shivering, and what I saw next astounded me. "How can this be?"

Suddenly, instead of one, there were now two white spots in view.

More appeared. Three, four, five... They seemed to grow in number as the winds blew. Eventually, I lost track.

Suddenly, with a stinging sensation, one of them flew directly into my eye. Upon inspection, I discovered that the spots were in fact nothing more than dandelion seeds floating in the wind.

"This can't be. Must be some type of fox magic."