twenty-six | real life ; insta ; imessage

"i've got a girlfriend... now."

jude could feel the stunned silence permate through the room like thick, rapid smog. he kept his eyes glued to the plate beneath him, pushing and prodding the cold pasta in his plate. in his peripheral view, he could see jobe, unfazed and knowing, eagerly shoving his meal down his throat. he couldn't catch a hint for the best of him.

his parents, on the contrary, paused their ministrations, gaze fixed upon their oldest son. his mother was the first to talk, voice soft, unassuming.

"so they were right?"

jude's eyes flashed with bewilderment, jutting his head backwards, "who were?"

his dad answered instead, "the tabloids, every single social media platform available."

"ah."

their lack of response riddled jude with fear, his brain couldn't muster words to give an explanation they so palpably expect. and jobe, who he could see was smirking so hard that he wanted to kick him beneath the table, wasn't helping in this predicament either.

his father had completely ceased eating, back resting against the back of his chair, arms crossed. his face sat comfortably, unreadable, and jude couldn't decipher whether it was disappointment or curiousity.

his answer came soon after, however.

"come on then," his dad urged, a phantom smile scouring his lips, "how did you meet her?"

jude exhaled, hand splayed against his chest, smiling. he rolled his shoulders, "God- i thought you were angry."

his mother chuckled, stabbing a few fusilis into her fork, "not necessarily, just wondering why jobe knew before we did."

jude knew jobe's antics were practically painting his knowledge of his relationship right in front of his parents' eyes, and jabbed his brother in his leg.

"ow- what the hell?!" jobe cried out, rubbing his shin aggressively.

"you couldn't just hold it back just for a second, could you?"

jobe, unamused, rolled his eyes, attention spinning back to the plate in front of him.

"so?"

jude brought his eyes back to his parents on his left, gently resting his fork on the edge on his plate. he could feel his heart race; just the thought of her was enough to leave him nervous. it was still hard to understand how.

"well," he took a deep breath, "i first saw her at the resort's café/restaurant- i dunno- and i just couldn't stop thinking about her."

his words urged an airy chuckle out of his dad, "she was just that beautiful, wasn't she?"

his father's voice was whimsical, like he knew exactly what jude felt. it made the boy smile; his mum and dad were undeniably his otp.

"yeah, absolutely. and it made me nervous, i couldn't actually go up to her... so raheem did." the memory would forever make jude cripple in his seat, it was astronomically embarassing.

"he's always been a daredevil," jude's mum joked. he agreed instantly.

"so called w rizz."

"jobe, actually shut-"

"anyways, what happened after that? how long did it take you to ask her out?" jobe instigated, cupping his ear with a hand. jude kissed his teeth, "don't make me kick you again, jobe."

"i'd like to see you try."

jude attempted to foot punt his brother's leg, but is stopped when a firm "jude" is said by his father