Chapter 7 - The Birth

The Waiting Room

Ghira and Kali sat in the hospital waiting room. Not long after they arrived, Blake and Yang were given a private room. During the trip to the hospital, Yang asked the two to take her's and Blake's scrolls to call Tai, Ruby and all their friends to tell them that Blake had gone into labour. A flurry of rose petals flew into the room as Ruby appeared.

"Did we miss it!? Has the baby been born yet!?" Ruby asked in a panic.

"No, not yet." Ghira said. "And it may be a while." Oscar and Tai weren't far behind her.

"Ruby. Please don't do that again. Especially in a hospital." Oscar said.

"I'm sorry." Ruby replied. "I'm just excited. I'm about to become an aunt, you're about to become an uncle and you're about to become a grandfather." She just couldn't contain her excitement. While Oscar tried to calm his wife, Tai turned his attention to Ghira and Kali.

"How's Blake doing?" Tai asked. "Any updates?"

"She's going to be fine." Kali said. "The doctors said she's doing great and that they'll keep us informed."

"Oh that's good to hear." Tai replied. "Blake will be alright. And Yang's with her, she'll make sure everything's fine." Ghira and Kali both nodded.

"Blake's strong." Ghira said. "She'll be okay and have the baby before we know it." He let out a sigh. "All we can do now, is wait."

An hour or two later, Jaune, Ren and Nora arrived at the hospital. Weiss had arrived too, though she brought balloons and a teddy with a plush heart in its arms. She sat next to Ruby who looked at her incredulously.

"What?" Weiss asked. Ruby didn't say anything, but pointed at the gifts Weiss had brought with her. "First impressions are important Ruby, you of all people should know that after how we met." Ruby was a little irritated by Weiss' comment. She wasn't wrong, but she didn't have to bring it up.

"Weiss, she's a baby." Nora said. "She's not going to remember this."

"Well I'm not taking that chance." Weiss said. "I want her to recognise me as soon as possible."

"She's not wrong." Ren said. Everyone turned to him. "I've read that babies can recognise people as early as the first few months of their life."

"Told you." Weiss said to Ruby with a snarky tone. Everyone else looked perplexed by Ren's words.

"When did you start reading up on babies?" Jaune asked.

"Well, actually. Ren and I have some news." Nora said as the group grew curiouser. "We've recently been trying for a baby ourselves." Everyone gasped.

"Aww, that's amazing you guys." Jaune said with the rest joining him.

"Oh and funny story." Nora said. "We got the call from Ghira right before I was going to take a test. So, hopefully that's a sign." She took in a deep breath and crossed her index and middle finger on both hands. "Fingers cross!" Ren took his wife's hand in his.

"We'll get there Nora." Ren said.

Everyone spent hours chatting and sharing stories with one another in the waiting room. Though they would also check in on Blake and Yang every now and then in pairs or small groups. Making sure that everything was okay and bringing some ice chips for Blake. Ruby and Weiss in particular felt so helpless. Seeing Blake have a contraction, all the pain that she was going through, and knowing all they could do was wait. They wished they could do more. But all they could do was believe in Blake and trust in Yang to coach her through the labour.