Tough Love

Shuichi's pov

~

"You hate me don't you?"

The question was sharp and to the point, but it didn't make me any less unwilling to stay silent and focus on my work. I could hear his voice ringing out across the room like he was on speaker, even though I was well aware of the presence hovering behind me. I had my eyes glued onto the 3rd act of Twelfth Night like it held all the answers to my life problems.

Ironic seeing that as of right now Twelfth Night and English Literature in general were the main cause for panic in my life presently.

I gave myself 5 hours. Five hours to buckle down and study, and five hours free from the distractions of human life. An opportunity to just be by myself in my room without anyone around to bother me.

What a fearful liar you are Shuichi.

How could I have possibly thought such a thing.

I sighed, "Of course I don't, I'm just busy right now." I flicked over the page in my notes, cursing myself out while reading over my work from months back. 'what the fuck is a metaphysical conceit??? Or a satirical elegy???! Why did I choose English Lit as my A Level course!? There's no way I'm passing this test...'

Kokichi swung his arms around my shoulders, eyes peering over the top of my shoulder and down at the disarray of work that scattered my desk. Quotes from Twelfth Night, Importance of Being Ernest and more swarmed my headspace, repetitively alerting me of the passage of time running out. I could sense Kokichi's neverending stare scan the pages, with nothing but a blank face and the occasional eyebrow raise whenever his eyes landed on my random drawings of daggers and fleas, (I'm starting to notice just how weird the poems in this anthology are).

"Your work sounds ridiculous." Was the only comment he made after looking back up, his award-winning smirk etched onto his face. I rolled my eyes and continued revising, "I could've told you that."

I heard a small giggle erupt from Kokichi, and unknowingly smiled. I wasn't sure what he was trying to do; was he trying to distract me? Mock my work? I don't know, all I knew was that his happiness filled my chest with warmth and giddiness that I didn't know was possible to feel. I heard the scraping of a chair as Kokichi dragged one towards me, stopping just beside me and taking a seat. He adjusted his checkered jacket, before keenly glancing up at me.

"Okay, so I have a few questions."

"I got that impression, shoot."

"With a gun or..."

"You know what I meant." That damned chuckle echoed throughout my room, along with the shuffling of papers courtesy of Kokichi and his curiousity. He dragged my note book towards himself, leaving me with nothing but a blank tablespace infront of me.

"Okay, so, first off who's this Feste guy, he sounds like a dick." I laughed at his bluntness; how could I not? "Feste is a clown, quite literally." He looked up at me, with this expression that read 'you're joking' and 'he sounds awesome' both at the same time. "You're shitting me he is?? Wow, I like him."

I wasn't surprised when Kokichi said that, mostly because Feste was my favourite character too, along with the fact that Kokichi and Feste act similarly. If they were ever introduced together, I can picture them striving for world domination.