Chapter 6 - Make a Petition

Izzy's POV
On Thursday after school, Ren takes Willard and I over to the car wash so he can wash his car.

Ren's spraying his car with the hose as he tells Willard about something.

"The preacher doesn't want me around Ariel. He had a whole talk with my uncle about it. I don't know what his problem is," Ren explains. Willard shrugs.

"It's probably because you got an attitude problem," He says as he tosses a peanut into his mouth. Ren frowns.

"I have an attitude problem?"

"Yeah. You got an attitude problem. You've been bad mouthing this town since you got here. We may not be some big city, but we got satellites and iPhones. We're making progress," Willard explains.

"Forget about progress. I've been here two months and I haven't seen one wet t-shirt contest," Ren replies. Willard shrugs.

"I don't know what's up with that. It's not me, man,"

"There's probably some stupid law against it," Ren says, rolling his eyes.

"I tell you what. You get a petition for that, I'll sign it. Because if we can't have braless, wet woman here in Bomont, the terrorists win." Willard explains. I frown at Willard and smack him hard in the arm.

"Willard!" I shout. Willard blushes.

"Sorry Izzy,"

"You have a pretty good idea, Willard." Ren says with a smile. "We can make our own petition to challenge the law against public dancing. Why not? We could organize our own dance. But I'm not talking about some drunken keg or free-for-all orgy,"

"Now that there, that's an idea." Willard says with a smirk.

"I'm talking a formal, respectable dance. That isn't in the church with everyone's eyes on you," Ren finishes.

"You're gonna be holding that dance in the Bomont lock up because what you're saying is against the law," Willard says.

"Here's the thing about laws. They're meant to be challenged. Nothing's set in stone," Ren says. Willard frowns.

"The Ten Commandments are. What's your smart aleck reply to that?" He replies.

"My smart aleck reply?" Ren asks, looking at Willard. "Is this,"

I jump out of the way just in time as my brother sprays Willard with the hose. Willard tries to dodge the stream of water, but Ren sprays him again.

"You know that wet t-shirt contest you wanted? Come and get it," Willard shouts as he runs towards Ren and grabs the hose, attempting to spray my brother.

In their struggle to gain control, they accidentally point the hose at me and I scream as the water sprays onto my face and my shirt.

"Willard Hewitt and Ren McCormack!" I shout. I feel like I'm yelling at my two misbehaving kids.

Willard's cheeks flush in embarrassment and Ren bursts out laughing before walking over and hugging me. Willard joins in the hug.

"Sorry, Izzy." They both say. I nod

"Apology excepted,"

"Can we have the wet t-shirt contest now?" Willard mutters while still in the hug. I pull away from him and smack him hard in the arm.

"Willard, that is messed up!" I say before grabbing the hose and spraying him with water.

"I'm sorry, Izzy! I'm sorry!" He shouts as I spray him again.

Ren joins in with the water fight again and we all laugh as we forgot everything going on at the moment.

Willard's POV
On Saturday, there is a court meeting being held. When it's over, Ren decides to talk to the reverend and the school principal about his plan to oppose the public dancing ban. Izzy falls back with Woody and I to listen in.

"Reverend Moore. I'm Ren McCormack. Wesley's nephew," Ren says. Reverend Moore nods.

"Yes. I know who you are," he mutters.

"I heard you had a talk with my uncle about something," Ren adds. Reverend Moore frowns.

"I had a conversation with your uncle, but it was not for your ears."

"There's a lot of that going around town. It's like that thing that people say about children. What is it?" Ren questions, pretending to think.

"That they rather be seen and not heard," Principal Rodgers replies. Ren nods.

"Yeah. I just wanted to let you know that I am making a petition against the ordinance of banning public dancing. I just wanted to make my intentions clear," He explains.

Reverend Moore and Principal Rodgers stay silent for a time before saying anything.

"Well, good day Ren." Reverend Moore says before leaving.

Woody, Izzy, and I all walk over to Ren in excitement.

"Showdown with the preacher man!" Woody shouts.

"You got balls the size of coconuts, man." I add. Ren smiles.

"Listen here, you corn-fed hick. If we're gonna have this petition, y'all are gonna learn how to dance." Ren explains, pointing a finger in my face.

My face falls at his words. Although I really want to help with this petition, dancing wasn't really on my list of things to do for it.

I figure that I might as well learn to dance, considering that everyone else knows how to except me. And, if I learn how to, I can finally dance with Izzy.