Chapter Two

Ten Years Later

"You cannot mean to say that Ippa is engaged?" Magdan said, turning towards Kida.

"Oh, it's true! I heard only today, a new maid in from the west was practically gleaming with excitement at the knowledge," the lady-in-waiting responded, "Anduin Grail, the only son of the Lady--"

"Helaya, I know," Magdan cut her off. "Of course he's Capucine," she muttered.

"Right? I don't think I ever would have believed the Gennats and Grails would join their houses through marriage, until--well now, I suppose. Capucines can be so... territorial. I mean, can you imagine the shit we'll go through getting both those houses to Sokir for the wedding? Total mayhem, it'll be..." she prattled on.

"And it's definitive, this news?"

"Apparently, it's common knowledge in Capuca,"

Magdan scoffed at that, and said, "Well, that-- that's just typical of Myhendra, isn't it? Not disclosing that sort of thing from us."

Kida let forth a little hum.

"What?" Magdan asked.

"I mean," she paused, searching for the right language.

"Now you're suddenly holding your tongue?" Magdan said, returning her attention to her reflection, uttering incantations to brighten her complexion.

"I only mean to say that you have withheld certain information from Princess Phillipa about the Queen's... condition," Kida said gently.

Magdan stilled. She said quietly, "That is a vastly different situation."

"Communication is a two-way path, Your Highness. How often have you and Princess Phillipa written one another recently?"

Not at all, Magdan thought.

"Maybe it isn't Myhendra isn't the one stopping the knowledge from reaching Sokir," Kida added, finding Magdan's eyes in the mirror.

"You may leave, Kida. I shall see you at court." Magdan said shortly.

Kida blinked at her friend, bowed, and left the Karybda's quarters without another word.

Magdan blinked away her gathering tears. She straightened her headband, which was a thick black piece with red rubies embroidered throughout. She adjusted her expression until it displayed the neutral vacancy she wished she felt inside.

The news of the engagement filled Iroa far before a Capucine squire made the announcement at court. The day was filled with questions about the wedding, which Magdan scrambled to answer as if she was indeed privy to the information that there would be a wedding before that morning. Courtiers clamored--Where was the wedding to be held? Would both the great Capucine houses be staying in Iroa? Would the wedding be done in the style of the traditional way or the new way? Would the public be in attendance? As court adjourned and courtiers and the commoners who were in attendance shuffled back to their respective quarters in Iroa and Sokir, Magdan rested the back of her head against her mother's throne for the first time all day.

Kida appeared at her side, offering her a hand up, to which Magdan offered her thanks.

"You did very well, Your Highness," Kida said kindly.

"Thank you, Kida," Magdan said without the guise of being strong or unaffected. She allowed for her mask to fall around Kida, her closest companion, and squeezed her hand back. She would have pulled Kida into a hug if the final stragglers weren't still milling about in the throne room, chatting and finishing their drinks. Instead, she said, "I must go see my mother, and tell her of all this news."

Kida nodded, and gave Magdan a smile, saying, "I'll prepare some tea to be ready in your rooms when you return."

"Thank you, Kida. And--" she said as Kida made to walk away, "I'm sorry. For being so short with you this morning."

"I understand, Magdan. Truly," she replied. And with that, she left.

Magdan proceeded to her mother's quarters.

"Mother?" Magdan said, entering the room. It smelled vaguely of stale bread. Magdan would have to see that the servants searched for untouched food more closely. She found her mother where she always did, sitting upon a lounging chair before her balcony.

"Mother, you really must close those doors, lest you catch a draft."

Emda grumbled, but turned to give Magdan a smile.

"It's so stuffy in here without it. I'll roast!" she complained.

"No, you won't," Magdan said, plopping down in the seat across from here after shutting the doors to the balcony. "What have been up to today?"

"Nothing," Emda said, frowning, "But it's far better than being at that blasted court, Sisters' know."

"Speaking of--"
"Oh, yes, what has been happening? Is Lady Vonner still pestering us for that bridge in Nupont?"

"No, mother. Lady Vonner passed away last year, you know that."

"Oh, well," Emda turned towards the window, seeming embarrassed. "You know me, my memory isn't what it used to be."

Magdan's heart fell a bit at that and she softened, saying, "I actually was going to tell you about Ippa."

"Ippa? She needs to come back to Sokir. I don't like Myhendra. Or Capuca. Always been a thorn in my--"

"Ippa's getting married." Magdan said more firmly.

"Married?" Emda demanded.

"Yes, so she'll be coming home, like you wanted," Magdan said, trying to brighten her mood.

"No, no. My Philippa can't be getting married. I won't allow it," Emda said stoutly.

"It's already done, mother," Magdan said, a bit of frustration entering her voice.

"No, no no. She's too young, Maggie, she's only twelve!"

"She's twenty-two."
"Bring Ippa in here, in fact, why are you telling me this? Bring Ippa here now."

"Ippa's in Squall's End. She has been for ten years," Magdan felt her voice rising.

Emda paled, "No. Bring her here now."
"I can't."
"Don't you know what happened to me when I was married? He tried to murder me, Magdan. Your father almost killed me. Don't sit there with that face and tell me you can't do anything," Emda spat.

Magdan bent, holding her face in her hands, trying to calm herself.

"Useless child," Emda said with all the viciousness she could muster.

Magdan broke into tears. Shaking breaths rattled her body. Many minutes passed before she looked back up at her mother, who was gazing out the doors with a placid expression. Emda turned back to Magdan and said, "Magdan, my dear. How was court today? I'm sorry I couldn't come, I just..." Emda glanced back outside, fog clouding her eyes, "Is Lady Vonner still giving you trouble?"

Magdan stood and moved towards her mother, placing a kiss atop her head.

"Maggie, why do you cry?"

Magdan shook her head.

"You are the reason I exist, Karybda," Emda said, clutching Magdan's hand in her fragile one.

"I love you, mother."

Emda looked confusedly at Magdan before she turned away again, muttering intelligibly about Lady Vonner, or the stuffy room, or Ippa, or all three. Magdan left quietly, and her mother paid her no mind. It was only when Magdan laid alone in her bed that she truly let herself fall apart.