Chapter Six

As the court adjourned and chattering courtiers looked likely to mill about for some time to speak to the visiting nobles, Magdan nodded at Kida. She smiled back, acknowledging the dismissal. The lady moved through the floor, dodging each and every conversation attempted to be had with the popular young woman, until she disappeared into the fray. Magdan was glad her friend would be reunited with her sister, but felt exposed without the reassuring presence at her side.

Then, Magdan saw Ippa approaching the throne. They met eyes, and Magdan wished to run to her sister, to sweep her up in a spin and clutch her tightly to her chest. She did none of those things, and settled for a soft smile. She was relieved when Ippa smiled back.

Ippa walked towards the throne, leaving Anduin to mingle. He was good at that, far, far better than Ippa could ever be. She slowly climbed the few stairs to the landing before her mother and sister, and Magdan stood to greet her. Ippa looked at her feet and waited for one terse moment as she stopped before them before she was wrapped in a hug. From the curls that brushed her cheek, she could tell it was Magdan.

"You look beautiful," Magdan said to her through the hug.

"You look like shit," Ippa replied into Magdan's shoulder. The taller sister shook with laughter, or was it a sob? She pulled away from her, holding her by the elbows. It was true, Magdan did look like shit, and it dismayed Ippa most deeply upon seeing the dark circles under her eyes and worry line etched in her forehead up close. She had looked the same, at first, from a distance. She still sat tall with her shoulders back and chin lifted, and her black curls surrounding her head and shoulders like a dark halo. But upon coming closer, Ippa noticed how thin she was, how the bones stuck out from her shoulders and her dress hung off of her like a cloak. She could tell Magdan was gripped with tension the entire time, and was shocked-- afraid even, at Myhendra's decree.

"I didn't know," Ippa said, truthfully, about the announcement by her aunt.

"I know," Magdan replied, looking Ippa up and down, taking her in. "And, I don't always look like this," she waved a hand to her face nonchalantly, "I've been very busy recently, you know."

"I-- I'm sorry, Maggie," Ippa blurted, once again not able to meet her sister's eyes. "About not telling--about everything." Magdan softly held a hand to her chin, tilting her head back up.

"I forgive you," the elder sister said earnestly, "and... you're home now, Ip. That's all I care about."

Ippa sagged with relief, giving a genuine smile to her sister. She then turned to her mother, who still sat, and gave her a short curtsy. Her mother looked at her with a strange expression Ippa didn't recognize.

"I missed you, mother," Ippa said. Her mother nodded and looked her up and down.

"You look different, Sparrow," was all Emda said.

"Well, puberty really did a number," Ippa joked, hoping to elicit some sort of response from her mother. Was she mad at her? Emda was never quick to anger, but... Ippa had given her a while to foster some feelings.

"Yes, I suppose so," Emda responded, "Is Myhendra giving you grief?"

"Not as much as I give her," Ippa said with a wink. Magdan snorted, looking back towards the crowd. She had grown tense again.

"Good, good. You always were my little troublemaker, Sparrow."

"As I always will be."

Her mother seemed to soften a bit before looking up at Magdan, who seemed absorbed in the flow of people on the floor.

"Maggie, I think I must retire to my rooms. It's been a long day," Emda sighed, "I don't know what to think of all these people in my house," the Queen admitted.