Prologue

Once upon a time, there was an island in the middle of a vast ocean, undiscovered by outsiders

If you asked the inhabitants how the island came to be, they might tell you that it simply rose from the ocean, birthing the inhabitants from the very earth. Others would tell you that the island has simply always existed, and was the original birthplace of the world. No matter what story you believe, the island exists unplotted on any map, but there nonetheless. 

Sailors claimed to see the island as they journey across the sea, only for it to disappear a second later in a vast expanse of clouds. Some would say that the clouds simply form from the ocean mist, while others would say that the clouds overhead spiral down towards the earth with the ferocity of a hurricane, sparking with angry lightning. 

But if you asked me, I would tell you that the island protects her own. She protects us from the possible harm of outsiders. If they could discover what it was that we did, they would seek us for our powers. They would kill some for their unusual gifts, they would kidnap others for dreams of love, wealth, and power. The island and sea protect us from the dangers of the world beyond.