Chapter 2

Storm wasn't pleased, and Nisi knew it

Storm wasn't pleased, and Nisi knew it. Sea wasn't pleased, and Nisi knew it. They were fighting, and everyone on Nisi knew it. Flower and her brothers were forbidden from leaving their little house at the bottom of the mountain. Instead, it was their parents who decided to leave and get what they would need from the fields and forest. Flower's father would fetch the wheat, and Flower's mother would fetch the wood. And they would be safe, in their little house at the bottom of the mountain.

Flower sat by the window, watching as Storm and Sea fought. Sea called his waves onto Nisi, and Storm's clouds brewed overhead, blocking Sun's light. Flower would have to go and visit him if Storm and Sea stopped fighting. Sun would not be happy. Nor would Moon. They loved to shine, and with Storm and Sea fighting, neither would be able to give their light. 

"Sister." Flower felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Coin standing behind her. He was not happy. There was no smile on his face as his eyes flickered between Flower and the fields where they could see their father toiling in the rage of Storm and Sea. "You should not be so close to the window," he said gently. He wrapped an arm around her back and took one of her hands in his, pulling her away from the window. Flower leaned against him, pressing the side of her head to his chest. She could hear his heart thundering beneath his clothes and skin. He was scared. He was just as scared of this storm as she was.

"Are you frightened, Brother?"

"Yes, Sister. I am frightened. Storm and Sea have never quarrelled like this." 

Field got to his feet and took Flower into his arms, hugging her quivering form tightly. "Nisi is not pleased. I can feel it."

Of the three brothers, Field was the one who felt Nisi the most. She seemed to speak through him, giving the family her messages through his voice. Perhaps that was why Flower was closest with Field out of her brothers. Because Nisi spoke through them. Nisi spoke through the roots and blossoms of her flowers, whispering to her in gentle breezes. 

"What does Nisi say," Coin asked, sitting by Hearth's fire and stretching his hands out towards the dancing flames. 

"She says that if they continue, Storm and Sea will grow too powerful. They will threaten our lives on Nisi."

Flower whimpered and nuzzled closer to the warmth of Field. Her brother wrapped his arms around her and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. Flower did not know why she was the most fearful of the siblings. She knew she was gentle. She was named after flowers after all. She was a flower. She was flowers, and flowers were her. Perhaps it was because flowers were vulnerable in Storm, and Flower could feel their pain. 

"What about the others," Flower asked, turning away from Field and sitting before Hearth's flames. She wanted warmth. The world outside their little house was cold, and it seemed as though the only warmth came from the siblings all crowded together. 

"They'll be fine," Field said. 

Suddenly, torrential rain pounded at the roof, and the siblings turned toward the door just in time to see waves crashing into their house. Nisi's words had come true. Sea and Storm had grown too angry. Storm pounded on the roof of the little house beneath the mountain, while Sea tore at the walls. They were the only house on this side of the mountain.