THE DEMONS IN MY HEAD

'The boarding for Flight number 4556 American Airlines Boston to New Delhi will be starting shortly. We thankyou for your patience and support.'

Layla tapped her foot, as she eagerly waited for her flight.
She was finally going home.
Years of Medschool in Boston had transformed her unimaginably.
But beneath the sneakers and faded blue jeans; she was still the same.
But today, she was just bubbling with excitement.
That too for more reasons than just one.
Her sister. Her only sister, Raven, was getting married!!!

Layla was 6 years old when her sister Raven was born. She has faint memories of waiting outside the OT in the common area holding her father's index.
She had always wondered if they were all as excited when she was born ?
Did grandma weave little baby mittens for her as well ?
Did Uncle Joe catch the first flight to see her ?
She remembers  the excitement, anxiety and impatience in the air.
She remembers how their nervousness made her worried. The only hand she wanted to hold then, was that of her mother's.

Her mother Julia is a very strong woman and her father Derek is a man of great character, however, their love was short lived.
The laughter in the first few years of their marriage faded quickly and was replaced by the painfully loud and uncomfortable silence.
The burning fireplace couldn't warm their house any more.
One episode of infidelity painted their lives in the darkest hues forever.

Layla's father decided to remarry after 3 years of his seperation from Julia.
Layla had just turned 6 at that time.
The news shattered her mother. The pretensious smiles never managed to explain the hurt in her eyes.

Her father's bride Nina wasn't like Cinderella's step mother, much to her relief. Instead, Nina had always been nice and warm to her. She always offered her little milk chocolates whenever she visited them. Nina respected their relationship and their mutual love for her father and so did Layla.
But in spite of all this, one corner of her heart always wondered what would it be like if they all would have managed to function as one family. How would it feel to be sheltered by both her mother and her father at the same time.
But this was just wishful thinking.

In just 6 months post their marriage Nina and Derek  announced their Pregnancy and soon, Raven entered Layla's life.
Her little sister, her best friend, her better half.
They loved each other the most.
And Layla was so grateful to have Raven in her life.
As kids, they would play Castle, Layla would be the queen and Raven would be the princess. They would fight off little toy dragons to save the Prince who was being held captive in the Magical world of Astonia.
Raven knew her inside out and really understood what she stood for. Over the years, Layla and Raven had made several attempts to suture the severed ends in their family. Some were successful and some futile, but they never stopped trying.

Derek was a surgeon and being absolutely fascinated by the human body, Layla decided to pursue medicine just like her father.

Sometimes, Layla aspired to be as carefree and free spirited as Raven; but her responsibilities kept her grounded.
But right now, was not about the past.
It was all good now.
Her sister was getting married.
And now, nothing could go wrong.

****
In the flight, she calms her breath as her excitement reaches new levels, she wraps herself in her blanket and sets her headphones in.
Soft music playing in her ears; she watches the lights get dim as her eyes close and she dozes off.