꧁Chapter 2꧂

I stood in front of the Mafia Boss, just like my immediate boss had stood some days before.

"What is your relationship with the students from class 1-A?"

It was obvious why he wanted to know this: they were his main concern. Class 1-B was of no importance to him, too small players in the grand scheme of things.

Now, I had to reply. In cases like these I had a few rules to follow, but it boiled down to two: do not lie, and answer (only) what was asked. This ensured my survival. There was no point in lying because I couldn't escape fast enough.

"I know most of their names and quirks, but we haven't spoken."

"Excellent. I want you to become friends with Bakugou Katsuki, Todoroki Shoto, and Midoriya Izuku."

I nodded. If I needed to become friends, then I would. Simple as that. It didn't matter what I felt or thought about the plan. He didn't care about my opinion.

He held out a piece of paper. I stepped forward and took it. On it were the three boys' schedules and other information about them that would make it easier for me to meet and gain the most "friendship points" with them. A literal game. I felt iffy. I didn't want to involve them in whatever scheme Mori had. But I had no choice.

I was dismissed and I didn't return to my training, although they probably had expected me to. To be honest, I was too upset and distracted. At that moment I didn't care about the wrath of the mafia.

"And where do you think you're going?"

Sir Nakahara's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and halted me. I crunched the paper in my hands and put it inside my pocket.

He observed me for a moment before commenting, "Just for the record, Mori told me to wait for you here. Come on, I'll walk you home."

As I mentioned, I was still too upset to care about the wrath of the mafia so I stood there, staring at my feet. Sir Nakahara had to walk back to come get me. He put his arm around my shoulder and we started walking together.

"You know, I'm jealous. Mori gets to hear you speak."

I looked up at him in surprise.

"What, you don't talk to him either?" he asked, eyes wide in surprise.

"I have to," I replied, a little annoyed two people had forced me to speak that day.

"And you don't have to reply to me?"

I ignored him.

"Okay, from now on, I order you to talk." His voice was stern, but there was also a hint of kindness, cheerfulness, or something of the sort.

"You know why I don't talk much."

"Hmm yeah, it's your rule not to lie, and you're afraid you'll get it trouble for speaking."

We had reached a bridge and we stopped to admire the late afternoon view. Despite the traffic and other pedestrians walking past us, everything was serene. It was at this point I noticed he was walking me home, and taking me the indirect route as well.

I looked at Sir Nakahara, and he looked truly beautiful. It wouldn't even cross your mind that he was a professional killer.

I was actually enjoying talking for a change, and I continued the conversation. It was my duty anyway. He was just being nice and not interrogating me. Nevertheless...

"What I say can get me in trouble." Although I repeated myself, it was all he needed.

"For example?"

"Sharing everyone's weaknesses."

"That would be stupid," he chuckled. "But what else?"

"My thoughts."

"Well, that depends on the situation. Boss doesn't need your input, but I'd like to hear yours."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Do you realise how weird it is to be the only one talking during a d-" He coughed instead of finishing that sentence.

"Even if might make you feel... inferior in a way. Like I think I'm smarter than you." I continued as if nothing had happened, another good idea in the mafia.

"Oh," he said with a dramatic voice. "I'm intrigued!"

I chuckled. We were both enjoying this conversation.

"Oh I don't know if I dare," I said with more breath support than I had expected.

He remained silent for a while. I looked at him, waiting for a response. I had no problem with silence, obviously.

After some thought (it was obvious from his face) he said, "One of your rules is not to lie. But isn't it lying if you don't say what you think?"

His blue eyes were piercing and his words hit harder than a truck. I was stunned for a while.

Probably afraid that he had shut me up for good, he quickly added, "I understand it if the stakes are higher, but you can at least tell me, right?"

Noticing his concern, I replied, "Alright fine."

He breathed a sigh of relief. "So, what is it?"

I smiled at him. "I think we should save this conversation for a time there aren't as many passers-by."

"My apartment is nearby, let's go there."

We walked there in silence.