Prologue

(Current Date: June 29 1953, 6:31 PM)

Mother is making dinner till we hear a knock on the door, Sister opens it, me and my mother overheard the conversation...

Man: 안녕하세요, 저는 당신 아버지의 동료입니다. 충격적인 소식이 있는데 당신 아버지가 살해당했고 범인이 당신들을 잡으려고 계획하고 있었습니다... (Hello, I'm your father's colleague, I have devastating news but your father was murdered and the perpetrator was planning to get you guys too...)

My sister looked devastated, she closes the door and tells mother something.

Sister: 여기는 더 이상 안전하지 않습니다. 지금 떠나야 합니다. (We're not safe here anymore, we must to leave now.)

Mother runs up to my siblings and says in a panicking voice.

Mother: 우리는 가야 해요, 당신의 동생의 (이름)을 가져가라!
(We gotta go, take your brothers (Name)!)

Name: 그래 엄마! (Okay mother!)

I grab my little brothers and we start packing all our stuff.

My little brothers try asking me what was going on but I was too panicked to answer them.

We have some connections with people in Colombia, South America.

It won't be easy trying to illegally immigrate to South America but we must try so we can run away from Korea.

Me and my siblings are carrying luggage and trying to not step on any mines, not get caught by the North Korean soldiers, dodging bullets barely.

We find a boat full of Americans and my family sneak on the boat.

We don't know where we're going but we can just hope that it's somewhere safe...

(one week later...)

(Current Date: July 5 1953, 7:52 PM)

Little Brother: 엄마 나 배고파... (Mother, I'm hungry...)

Mother: 우리가 음식을 찾으면 모두에게 잔치를 베풀겠다고 약속합니다. (When we find some food, I promise to feed you all a feast.)

Suddenly, we heard the boat door open, was someone coming in?

We all hid inside the biggest crate and when we got taken out of the ship, we immediately left the crate and ran out.

We were running on the hot ground of Colombia barefoot, we kept running and running, until we saw a village, me, my mother and my older sister grabbed our little brothers and used the last of our strength to run to the village.

We were tired, thirsty, hungry and weak, one of the villagers saw us and asked the other villagers to come with him.

Villager: ¿Quién eres? (Who are you?)

My family looked confused including me, my older sister responded.

Sister: Somos forasteros, necesitamos ayuda, estamos hambrientos y débiles. (We are outsiders, we need help, we're hungry and weak.)

The villagers take us to the village, it feels warm and alive, they take us to a giant house and take us inside the house.

The household looks strange but feels comforting, me and my family are taken to an old woman with tan skin and a teal dress.

The woman feeds us something, we eat it and realize that our injuries we had were suddenly gone.

We look at her in confusion, she smiles at us and feeds us more of her food.

We eat the food and me and my family are taken to different rooms, I get taken to a dark teal room and I see a girl my age with short curly hair and different embroidery on her outfit.

Girl: Sabes, usar harapos no es saludable, ¡así que decidí comprarte ropa nueva! (You know, wearing rags isn't healthy so I decided to get you some new clothes!)

I respond in confusion.

Name: 음, 뭐라고 했어? (Um, what did you say?)

Girl: ¡Bueno! No sé lo que acabas de decir, ¡pero aquí tienes tu ropa nueva! (Okay! I don't know what you just said but here are your new clothes!)

The girl leaves to give me some privacy

I take the clothing and I try them out, they feel comfortable.

I walked out to see my little brothers eating the woman's food, my older sister thanking the people in the house and my mother having a smile on her face.

This is the first time I've seen my mom happy again, I smile at her.

I hear someone coming towards me...