Chapter 5

Jasmine?" Gustav asked Hood as he prepared the tea. "Yes please," Hood gratefully accepted as she, Gustav, and Friedrich sat down. They were in the third day of their journey to Britain and still had another 5 to go. On her own, Friedrich's ship could make the journey in four days but with the added weight of Hood's vessel, and Gustav, it would add another four days. One of the most dangerous, or at least mentally dangerous, parts of sailing, was the boredom that would set in. Thankfully, Gustav had brought many different homebrews, and was able to make new drinks for the three of them to try every night.

So far, there had been no enemies and the weather had held up well enough that there was no need to make detours. As the three sat down, Hood noticed something. Over the last few days, Friedrich and Gustav had been inching ever so slightly closer to one another. Hood had felt that she was treated kindly and had no ill feelings towards her captors. She decided to excuse herself from dinner as her woulds still ached and she felt that she would be in the way of Friedrich and Gustav. She said her thanks and wished them well before heading to bed.

Friedrich and Gustav sat alone at the table, the large size of the dining room making them feel as if the ship were abandoned. Gustav tried to make small talk with Friedrich. "Does it get lonely when you have to make a trip on your own?" he asked. "Sometimes," Friedrich said lowering her head with a sigh. "But it is always worth it to see my children when I get back." she added raising her head with a dreamy look in her eyes. Gustav paused for a moment, "I did not know you were married" Gustav said, surprised that he had never heard Friedrich talk about her kids or husband. "I am not married, I just view all the young ones as my children." she explained as she started on her third glass of wine. By now, she was starting to feel the effects of the strong wine. Her words started to slur and she was more open with her speech.

Freidrich was supposed to be on the next watch, but with her towing Hood, currently tired and inebriated, Gustav decided he would take her to bed and do a double watch. "Come on Friedrich," he said as he started to stand up. Friedrich started to stand then stumbled onto Gustav and decided that was where she would sleep. Gustav did not know what to do at first. But in the end, he decided to carry her to her room. He put her into a bridal carry and started towards her room. Thankfully the halls were wide enough to accommodate her tall figure. As he set her down in her bed, she stirred and groaned out something, he leaned down to hear what she had to say. Almost like a whisper she mumbled, "Yes... yes, spoil me more." He chuckled, she might have been like the mother to others at the port, but deep down she herself wanted to experience the love that she missed along with her childhood.

Suddenly, she lunged forward and wrapped her arms around Gustav, pulling him into the bed with her. "It's so cold..." she whimpered, Gustav paused. Then, he made his decision. Slowly, he turned towards her, and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her head against his chest, providing the warmth that she seeked. He was willing to do this much for her. After all, she was the first one who he considered an equal if power, and that had truly made him feel fine being himself...

The next day, Friedrich woke up with a hangover. She started to rise when she felt something pressing against her head and back. She remembered what had happened last night and decided she would stay in bed, she would hold onto this moment as long as she could. The feeling of being wrapped in the arms of another was foreign, yet warm. Slowly, Friedrich drifted back into the warm embrace of Gustav, wondering where this would lead. And if she would finally find one who would help her reach her dream.

Gustav woke up and looked down seeing that Friedrich had snuggled even closer than she was the night before. He smiled, leaned down and kissed her forehead before getting up, turning around, and pulling the sheets over her. He headed towards the mess hall and started to make breakfast for everyone. When Hood and Friedrich came down, there was a noticeable smile on Friedrich's face. She made her way over to Gustav and sat down, leaning on him. As they ate, her smile seemed to stay and her aura that had once cast a shadow into even the most brightly lit area, now seemed to just cloud the edges of shadows.

Breakfast was silent as the three enjoyed the food. Hood did not want tot interrupt the moment between her two traveling companions, but she had a question to ask. "What is the plan for when we reach the homeland?" she asked breaking the silence that had settled over the group. "We sent out a message and they are expecting Freidrich to arrive, although they do not know that I am here..." Gustav said, scratching the back of his head. "Don't worry," Friedrich assured him. "I already sent them a message... leibing," she finished and hugged him, resting her chin on his shoulder.

Gustav was rather surprised, he knew that he and Friedrich were growing closer, but he did not expect her to be this forward. He had never been in a serious relationship before and would prefer to take it slow, but was willing to move as fast as she wanted.

As the day went on, Friedrich and Gustav stayed side by side, just enjoying the company of each other. In the command tower, they would sit together and check the modules of the ship. When Gustav spotted for hostile forces, they would stand hand in hand on the deck and look out at the ocean together. They looked more like a couple than two soldiers on duty to their passanger.

Unfortunately their peace would be interupted by Gustav spying an enemy fighter. A siren scout plane was in the air and it had spotted. The three quickly started towards general quarters. Gustav told hood that she should prepare her AA and focus on the planes, he would hit the carrier. They were lucky in the capacity that it seemed to be a lone carrier. Must have been separated from the battleships, but that also meant the escort would not be far behind.

"General quarters!" The speakers of Friedrich boomed out. The defense guns of the massive battleship scrape their turrets as they aim towards the sky. Across the horizon, specks of metal scream towards the three. Gustav grabs two belt fed machine guns and pulls the charging handles. He squeezes the stocks in his armpits and aims at the sky.

Friedrich stands on the bridge of her superstructure, focused on moving her anti-aircraft weaponry towards the incoming force. She looks at Gustav as he ascends the stairs to her level. "I took Hood to the lower decks," he says, staring at the incoming bombers. "Well, let us hope that the enemy is inexperienced..." Friedrich trailed off as the sound of engines rumbles over the waves.