THE MODERN GENERATION

Our modern generation might not turn out better than the older generation. We criticize them, we shame their ideals, and we trash-talk their worldviews, but ours isn't any better. The older generation suffered from ignorance. But we are suffering from INFORMATION OVERLOAD.We know too much!

At the snap of our fingers, we have access to millions of websites that provide us with information. In fact, we don't even have to look for it, we get notifications from our smartphones about things that shape us. Although that can be seen as advantageous, I still feel most suffer from colossal unhealthy consumption of information. So, instead of ignorance like our grandparents and great-grandparents. We have too much information that we can't make rightly informed decisions. This has shown that information overload slows and threatens the efficiency of our mental sensitiveness and cognitive abilities. We try to store so much and we forget that the brain is limited in how much it can process.

This is why the older generation is largely consistent with their worldview. It might be too stringent, but consistency is an expression of maturity, over the idealistic impulsiveness of this modern age. We are just the other extreme of our parent's ideologies. Very toxic!The collectivist culture acknowledges how our individual actions can affect others. The need for selflessness and interdependence and community-orientated loyalty. There was a social responsibility and submission to a collective set of ruling morals. This is why we had longer lasting relationships, arguably, they weren't that healthy (some of them), but longevity also matters. Their relationships lasted because everyone thought more than for what alleviated their feelings. They saw their actions as a contribution to culture. Family values thrived, tell me the difference when it's Christmas now compared to back then when we were still kids. Family values thrived not without fault. It was so because they didn't just define success by how much personal 'feel good' they felt, but also find identity in a cohesive community fulfillment. Meaning, families were harder to break, people built longer meaningful relationships.

But our generation is extremely opposite. Individualism. Our decisions are based on personal feelings, loyalty to self, we fail to even realize that sometimes what's right for us doesn't have to feel right all the time. That's why many people are lonely. We are self-ruled and loathe any form of external moral code.

Everyone wants to self-govern without responsibility and this is our curse. We make decisions without accountability on how impact it has on others. Little wonder why our relationships and marriages don't last? Because we encourage people to leave immediately they are hurt. Everything has to be perfect for us to be. "Walk away if he does this and that"... "Leave her immediately if she's this and that"... Our solutions are hardly reconciliatory. "Don't stay in situations that don't serve you". These are modern sayings that destroy us. Divorce and separations aren't uncontrolled because we are more educated than our parents. They're like that because we lack family values. Trust me, we do. We say the quality of a relationship is not in longevity and I agree, but it takes a lot to put it for years. How many of you have celebrated anniversaries with your partners? Sadly, the older generation had a better sense of delayed gratification. They could wait. Our generation cannot wait. You find a 23-year-old wanting to live a lifestyle of a 35-year-old. We are used to microwaved opportunities. "In 5 minutes"

Then we lack shame, the older generation was not without errors. Barely. But they hardly wore it as a badge and built activism to convince others that their bull crap should be normal. They hid certain things. Even when they wanted to do wrong things they sneaked. Our generation does not sneak. We have a repulsive audacity that affords us no shame. People publicly boast about their body counts, private parts no longer exist. They show everything online. I believe that shame is an important human response. We must have shame. I don't know why I even wrote this, but I think we have to be careful. Not every new ideology is right and not every old ideology is wrong. We have heavily demonized everything about where we came from, and we are cruising confidently to chaos. What will we teach our kids? We need values.

We might be able to use Google and get information at the twinkle of an eye, and our parents might not. But we should listen to them. We don't need to agree, but we can take a bit of wisdom and be better individuals. Totally disregarding old wisdom is not wise. We are digging our own graves. We are getting lost honestly.