Chapter 4

Chapter 4- Seeing you again 

Point of view Alena Underwood 

I woke up with Blaze lying on top of me with a worried look on his face. I was in the middle of an empty hospital room where the beeping machine immediately started ringing when I tried to move around. 

Nurses started running to my room while Blaze growled as they entered. 

"Miss Underwood, you're awake." One spoke while slowly approaching my bed while the other nurses stayed back. 

Blaze kept guarding me but I placed my hand on his muzzle and closed it to stop the growling. I could sense his tension and his anger. The weakness that had been feeling that last few months had been draining on him too. After all, our lives were connected.   

"We can't explain what happened." One of them spoke. "Last night, you were unconscious and today, it seems as if nothing ever happened." 

I took a deep breath as my patience with humans was quite low right now. I needed to get out of this hospital. The smell of sickness and death was oppressive. However, after taking a few seconds, I also sensed something else. The weakness in my body from these last few months was slowly leaving my body. It was as if, I was plugged into an I.V. that was giving me my strength back. 

A few seconds of awkward silence passed as I was figuring out the best way to leave this place. My saving grace came with a young doctor who hurried the nurses to other more important tasks.

"Are you both trying to kill yourselves?" The doctor asked abruptly. 

The doctor looked as if he had just finished school. He had curly hair and green eyes.  

"What are you talking about?" I asked while getting out of bed. My mother always told me that playing dumb often worked when trying to get out of a situation. 

The doctor handed me my clothes which were neatly folded at the edge of my hospital bed. I read his name tag: Doctor Savas.  

"He's in section C." He continued while giving a few pets to Blaze who didn't seem to mind the sudden affection. "You should see him before you leave." The wolf was scary until he flopped on his belly for a few rubs. I rolled my eyes while heading to the bathroom to change. 

"Thanks, Doc," I replied before closing the door behind me. 

I quickly changed. When I went back into my hospital room, I noticed that the Doctor was gone. He had just written a post-it note with his number and the note: 

"Call me if you ever need me."

I folded the paper and placed it in my pocket. I shook my head a few times. It was a strange interaction to have a doctor comment on your personal life. 

"Did you smell any bad vibes from him Blaze?" I asked him while he was shaking his head and chewing on a bone that I could guess came from the doctor. 

I grabbed my bag that was on the handstand and checked my phone. The Doctor had notified Trey of my release and Trey was waiting in the parking lot to give me a ride back home. Before I left my room, I attached Blaze to a leach so that I wouldn't get in trouble. 

As I was walking towards the exit, I saw the sign for section C of the hospital. Blaze immediately bolted towards that section. As he was attached to the leash, he didn't really give me a choice. He guided me through the emergency part of the hospital before stopping at a door.

I looked around the hallway before taking a few deep breaths. I pushed open the door. Blaze ran in to jump on the bed next to Ash. I envied my companion for being so forgiving and loving. Blaze did it for both of us because I didn't have the strength in my heart to forgive him. 

Ash was sleeping peacefully. He had cuts and bruises on his face. I wondered if he had been fighting too or if had started destroying his environment again. 

I slowly approached the chair that was next to his bed and reached for his hand. I knew that this action would re-open the wounds that I was trying so hard to close. The connection that I felt when my skin finally touched his was powerful. My heart started beating again and my heartache was appeased.

 I started noticing that he had a new haircut. His hair was cut shorter on the sides and had two lines shaved into it as well. 

I felt drawn to turn his hand to look at his wrist. I placed my finger on his new tattoo. It was a drawing of an eye. My heart started beating faster as I looked into the mirror at the end of the room and see that same eye in my reflection. 

I started thinking of our story again which all began on the first day of classes when I learned that the mark of the moon meant that I was linked to someone at the school. The prophecy did warn us that we would hate each other and most of the time, that was still true. 

"What did you have to leave?" I ask while squeezing his hand. "Why didn't you give it a try?" 

No response. 

I waited but nothing was to come. Ash needed time to heal from his wounds and I needed to move on from our connection. 

We both ended up in between these walls because our souls are connected. When he gets injured, I get hurt too. The worst part of it all, we couldn't run away from it. 

It was time to find a solution to this. We couldn't keep living like this. I needed to talk to Traveler. I needed the answers now. I needed to know how he was able to survive without my mother, his soulmate.