Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Mom and Dad's love story 

Point of view Alena Underwood

I walked to the parking lot where Trey was waiting for me in his black Mercedes. His car was a reflection of Trey's quality: it was always spotless and showed how his hard work paid off. He opened my passenger door before closing the door for me in true passenger princess style. He also opened the trunk to let Blaze lie down in the back of the car. Trey started playing oldies and didn't ask many questions on the drive back home. 

When we arrived at my house, he walked me to my front door before giving me a hug and leaving. 

When I walked back home, I was expecting to enter an empty house as my father was often gone from afternoon to dawn. This time, he was sitting in front of the couch with Chinese takeout waiting for both of us. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the hospital." He said as I sat down on the couch next to him. 

Blaze had been by my side the entire time, but was emotionally drained. He left me and my father to have a discussion while he went up to my room to wait for me on my bed.  

I was starving and we both dug into the food. Every few bites I took, Traveller gave me worried looks. 

"You've been very patient with me but I know you want your answers."

Yes, indeed it was time. It was time for me to know if all the time I spent hating him when my mother was in a hospital bed was wasted or not. I moved my chopsticks around the noodles as I was trying to find the best way to approach this situation. However, I was too tired from the hospital to go around the pot so I decided to cut straight to it. 

"Why did you let mom die?" I ask while Traveller's eyes immediately shut down. 

He giggled a bit. As if I was asking him something that was so obvious. My heart still aches from the loss of her. 

"I'm surprised Uncle Jay never told you this but he probably didn't because he hates my guts..." Traveller started. "Your mom and I remind me a lot of you and Ash. When we were connected, we didn't know each other very well. We were just drawn to each other you know... We didn't have much in common. Your mother lived by the rules and her magic jewelry. I lived to defy the rules of this supernatural world." 

Traveller spoke as if he was reliving their love story. His eyes sparkled with the combination of love & sadness. It was interesting hearing about your parents going through the same challenges of life. 

"The laws forbid two Outcasts to be together." He reminded me of strictness. "Although you and Ash had an exception due to the prophecy, Ash is well aware that you will never be left alone. And if you ever had any kids, the organization will attempt to kill any child you'll create." I gasped at his revelation. 

"How did you and mom do it?" I ask while still trying to swallow the sad truths of our world. 

"It was an accident. We weren't supposed to have you... So to protect you, we agreed to never see each other again. Your mom told others that you weren't mine and I couldn't come to see you. To you make it believable." He said with a sad look on his face. "We knew the risks... we could die for having you, but it was worth it to save you, Alena." 

I wanted to fall over my chair, scream, and cry. Growing up with Uncle Jay, I never knew the rules and laws of the supernatural world. How could I ever imagine that the person that I will love until my dying breath wasn't legal to be with me? We would never have kids, nor create a family of our own. 

"Why does Uncle Jay hate you?" That was my final question before the pieces of the puzzle were put together. My childhood was no longer a mystery. 

"I wasn't perfect with your mom. I used to visit a few times every year. I would teleport at random times so that no one would notice. Your mother had an issue with the fight club and we had numerous fights. I made a few mistakes. It wasn't healthy."  

He seemed embarrassed and a bit destroyed. It was as if I had shattered into his shell. Traveller was always so confident, that it seemed incredible to see that he had his demons as well. I stood up to throw away my plate but Traveller tapped my hand. 

"I'll take care of this. You should take some rest. Tomorrow is your big day." He declared. 

I nodded. For a few seconds, I imagined what it would feel like to lose Ash. As much as I hated him sometimes, he was the other part of me. The one that will always make my heart beat faster, and that will take my breath away when he smiles at me. 

I gave my father a hug. He slightly moved back as this wasn't anticipated for him but then let himself go when he realized what I was doing. This was the first father-daughter hug and it only took nineteen years. 

"Goodnight dad," I whispered into his year. 

I could tell he was emotional from our conversation but he shook it off pretty quickly and pretended as if everything was okay. 

While still in his arms, Traveller whispered back: "One more thing..." He took a deep breath. "You aren't an Outcast Alena. You're an immortal." 

He dropped his arms and went back to picking up the dishes as if nothing had ever happened. My father had just dropped a bomb on top of my shoulders or even a target on my back as if it wasn't anything. 

A part of me wondered if his behavior was an attempt to hide his secret. He had reasons to be paranoid, a secret like that could mean that the organization could come for all of us. 

 As I went to bed, I repeated to myself:

I am an immortal.