One: Just a Myth

Chapter 1: Just a Myth

"Do not tell me you actually believe all that gibberish," I said to my best friend, Lynn, shaking my head in disdain.

"Of course I do! Everyone does!" She all but screeched at me, and I barely resisted covering up my ears.

"Listen, Ms.Gullible, there is no such thing as ghosts. Or spirits. Or dark creatures or whatever you call them. All I know is that it is a stupid myth created by a very lazy guy who had nothing to do in life and just wanted to spend time lying on a cosy hammock while counting the hair on his head!" I blabbered out, and smoothened my dark red velvet gown, with the cape trailing behind me by a few inches.

We both were standing on the front deck of the house, belonging to some guy named Tucker, who had invited everybody today for a party, seeing as it was Friday the 13th. We were all required to wear Halloween costumes, hence I was adorning a long velvety gown while Lynn had worn a black and white dress reaching her thighs, and had painted her face so that it looked like spider webs.

I hardly cared about the party, but since Lynn was part of the cheerleader squad, she had to live up to the expectations.

Not that she was like all the arrogant, snobby cheerleaders. She, in fact, was quite the opposite. She was sweet, kind and in my opinion, over-sensitive (she always used to deny this) and she had pleasantly surprised me the day she helped me pick up my food when I had accidentally tripped over a chair. After that, I don't exactly remember how, but we ended up becoming best friends.

We didn't argue at all, but today, we were debating on this stupid myth that she and many others so religiously believed in.

The myth was that on every Friday the 13th, if a person stood under the Willow Tree in the town's graveyard at exactly midnight, and chanted a spell from a certain book, then he or she would be able to summon a dark creature or a spirit. Many of them had already tried this(or so I've heard) but to this day, I never heard of them actually encountering one. Of course many said that they had, but I'm sure it was just for attention.

"It is true, Anne. Elizabeth. Harvey," Lynn spoke, exasperated.

My face immediately scrunched up into a scowl. "I've told you to not call me by my full name, Lynn," I spoke, disappointment lacing my words.

Lynn's face immediately softened and she lowered her head. "I'm sorry, Anne. But c'mon, you're saying that everybody else is wrong too?"

"Lynn, the legend is a myth. End of story," I said, my voice containing finality.

"Well, If you're being so brave, why don't you go and see for yourself if it's a myth or not?" A squeaky, unbelievably high voice spoke from behind me, and I immediately clenched my fists, knowing fully well who the voice belonged to.

I turned around to face Breanna, the most popular girl in school, apparently. Rumours had it that she had slept around with almost the entire football team, and even a few from our rival school. I didn't believe rumours, but, if the proof showed up right in front of you, live, then it's hard not to. Well, you get the picture.
Sick, awfully disgusting, picture.

I squinted my eyes to see if she was wearing any clothes. Phew, she was. I mentally said a quick 'Thank You' to God and looked at her. A black leather bandeau and a nonexistent leather skirt, barely covering her modesty, complimented by red lipstick and hair tied up in a high updo.

Talked like a witch, walked like a witch, and looked like a witch.

"Me? I don't really waste my time like this," I snapped.