Six: Hunt

Author's note

So today has been a year since I last updated. And no, this was not planned. But yes, this fact definitely pushed me to write this new chapter down, so you guys wouldn't be able to say, "She hasn't updated in a year. A year!"

Yes, I literally fought my writer's block to make this chapter a reality.

If you're still reading this book, THANK YOU, I am beyond amazed. Thanks for sticking with me. 

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I loved writing this. All the love.

~N.

(Dedicated to @GLAMGLAMBEAR for being a lovely reader who relentlessly cracks jokes in the comments section.)

______

Chapter 6: Hunt

The drive to The Grill took over forty-five minutes, seeing as how it was almost on the outskirts of Greenbay. A sudden flashback of the dreadful Halloween party came to my mind, and I had to forcefully push it back. The Vampire was sitting right next to me.

Brook stopped the car and we all got out, walking towards the entrance, the lights of the small diner acting like a beacon. I suddenly felt like a lost traveller.

The familiar chime of the bell rang overhead as we entered, the interior of the place warming my heart. After my house and school, this was the safest place I knew.

I tossed a smile at Mrs Fuller, the owner of the place, who was standing at the counter, wiping it. My feet automatically led me towards the booth we always sat in, seeing as it was the biggest one, accommodating ten people at a time, which we usually filled out on nights like these.

"Scoot a little, Brook. Your ass is covering, like, two lawns," Lynn joked, laughing as he shoved her lightly.

"When was the last time we came here?" I asked them as I looked around.

"Probably two weeks ago, I guess."

"Feels like two months."

"You've always been too attached to this place," Lynn let out a breezy laugh.

"You know why," I replied, but got cut off by a voice.

"So this is your hang-out spot?" Hayden asked, eyes on me.

"Yeah, I guess you can say that," I replied, breath hitching in my throat as he came and sat down next to me. WHY—

"Probably because it's like, the only diner in town," Brook commented, stretched out in his seat.

I whipped around. "Excuse me—"

"—With a live barbecue," Brook finished quickly, eyes the slightest bit of wide.

I blew out a strand of hair that had managed to fall into my eye during my act of vehemence. "Nice save," Lynn whispered, thinking I couldn't hear her.

"You sound very passionate about this diner," Hayden spoke after a pause.

I shrugged. "So, are we eating or what?"

**

A stupid, inquisitive part of me wanted to test out Hayden's vampirism. Which was also stupid and pointless, considering he'd already proved it by drinking my blood.

I shivered. That still creeped me out.

I guess somewhere in my brain, I still hadn't fully accepted the fact that vampires existed. Unrealistic, I know, but I had always been stubborn. Recollecting all the vampire lore I'd devoured when I was a pre-teen, I put it to the trial.