What You've Got - Oneshot

He had no idea who you were-that much became clear the second he plopped down in the seat beside yours and started talking about Bucky's many admirers.

You hadn't really expected the assistant manager to recognize you. With the new recruits only just joining the team, you were still a newbie in the stadium. And that was fine; you'd have plenty of time to get acquainted with everything in Bucky's work-life as time went on.

Just not right now, and definitely not as some guy named Joe-as his name tag suggested-glanced down at your "Barnes" jersey and decided that you'd enjoy the inside scoop on the Dodgers' newest pitcher.

"You should see him after the away games, signing like a million jerseys," he grinned, and your pride swelled. Until he continued. "Getting like a million phone numbers too. I swear, that guy's a legend."

Your chest twisted uncomfortably, the laugh you let out half-hearted at best. "Oh, I bet."

Joe continued, "The ladies in the PT room love him too. I hear them talking about him every time he comes in to get his shoulder iced."

You bit into your lip as he dove into another story, thumbing the plastic edge of your popcorn container. You'd probably hand the box over to Nat when she met you in the stands; your appetite was shot and not likely to return for the rest of the night.

You attempted to tune Joe out as the team began warming up, searching the field until you finally spotted Bucky. He was swinging his arm out and laughing at something Steve had said, the simple sight of him easing some of the tension in your body. Because he was yours, and you were confident in that.

At least you were...about twenty minutes ago.

"Supermodels love baseball players, you know?" Joe said, a mouthful of chips finally reaching your ears. "And they show up in those little skirts, finding their way onto the field after games. Lots of them ask for Barnes."

The leggings you picked out this morning suddenly felt foolish, and you covered your knees with your palms as if that would make a difference. Your jaw felt impossibly tight as Joe started talking about the following your boyfriend now had on social media. You wanted to calm down, but the nausea sweeping through you felt anything but calm.

Bucky was talking to supermodels? And flirty physical therapists? And girls that were throwing their numbers at him? You knew that he was going to garner a large fanbase the second he went pro, but facing the reality of it wasn't something you enjoyed.

Who were you compared to a celebrity... just some girl he met in college that followed him across the country? And you knew who was liking his pictures on Instagram-what they looked like and exactly everything they had that you didn't. You weren't even engaged yet and it was still so early in his career; Bucky could leave you for one of those girls and there wouldn't even be a whisper in the press.

"I could probably put in a good word for you. Barnes doesn't seem to take people home, but there's always a first for everything."

He didn't seem to?

"Uh, thank you," you choked out, the tightness in your throat making it hard to speak. "I actually just remembered that I have to go so... thanks."

You left your popcorn on Joe's lap, not sticking around to watch as he lifted it up and asked if you were okay.

You weren't okay. You felt confused and worried and inadequate, and the worst part was that you hadn't even expected this. So caught up in his smiles and his adoring touches, you forgot that with Bucky's new position, came new opportunities. Opportunities that didn't involve you.