Alpha Division: Part 9

A single shot was fired, the sound bouncing off the blackened walls. Initially I didn't dare look. I didn't want the last thing I saw to be that of a grotesque alien monstrosity. But as the microseconds ticked by without my spine being snapped in two, I eventually managed to pry open my eyes. The Slug was still standing over me, but with a neat hole dug into its head.

The cumbersome creature slumped down to its knees before fully toppling over, its hideous bulk landing just beside my feet. Looking past the body I saw Happy standing there, rifle in hand with a small amount of smoke still coming from its barrel. 

"That was a good shot, even if I do say so myself, got him straight between the eyes...well... antenna." he said with a smile.

Taking the time to catch my breath and compile my thoughts, I stepped over the body and on instinct went to pick up my rifle before turning to face Happy once again. "I think this goes without saying, thanks, I think you saved my life." I said to him.

"Not a problem in the slightest. You're very welcome." he replied. It was clear to see that he was still impressed with the accuracy of his shot as he was carefully inspecting the entry wound on the back of the Slugs enormous head. I didn't care, I was just happy that it was the Slug on the floor and not me.

Unlike poor Robin, who's lifeless corpse lay crumpled at my feet. I didn't feel much for him, not any more than any compassionate person would for seeing another human life coming to an abrupt end. I hadn't known him that well before hand and that made it easier not get overwhelmed, but part of the reason I didn't feel much was because I didn't allow myself to. I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle it along side Maxine.

I also had to face the fact that I was, no matter how quickly, becoming used to death. In the past few hours I had seen more death and suffering then what most people will ever see throughout their entire lives. Maybe I was already beginning to harden to that cold fact that people die.

However what scared me the most as I stared at the dead mans pale eyes, what terrified me,  was the fact that a part of me just simply didn't care.

"Right then." Colter said dropping his shield as he did. "Lets clean up."

The rest of the mission concluded without another incident. The blue forcefield that had been separating half the team was removed by destroying the small silver generator that was hidden just beside the door frame.

Everyone began the routine reorganisation checks, making a note of how much ammo they had used, what their stats where currently showing and applying any further hormone nodes that might be needed. The multiple defence platforms that surrounded the large area where shut down and recalibrated using the access points within the control room. This opened up a safe corridor for a plethora of ships, both big and small to begin their descent down onto the planet.

Troop carriers, logistic supply ships, ground support craft, battle cruisers and destroyers could be seen bursting their way down through the planets atmosphere, with the bright glow of re-entry highlighting them in the dark night sky. Only hours after the defences were shutdown the spaceport became an epicentre of life and activity.  Thousands of troops poured out of bulky almost cube like carriers. Waves of tanks and other armoured vehicles where dropped off from specially designed transports and began to immediately manoeuvre into their pre-determined positions.  The many unoccupied hangers and storage facilities became filled with fresh supplies, construction mechs, support drones, food, water and medical supplies with an army of people organising it all.

Prefab buildings, that would serve as barracks and defensive structures, where deployed from support craft overhead. It was a construction site, raining from the sky, with the small buildings being guided down towards the ground by a series of small rockets and retros. Ground crews welcomed the slowly descending buildings down, securing them on their foundations as they did. Before long, the previously empty runways and launch points became a mini city of light and blue concrete.