Chapter 1: Arrival and Meeting

As much as I was looking forward to my first day at Overwatch HQ, I was more terrified than excited. I'd heard the stories of people who had left within the first few days from intimidation, and how even through training, they were still unprepped for the chaos ahead.

My name is Y/N, and today is my first day in Overwatch. When I first applied, I was surprised to find that I was accepted almost immediately. My training had received an almost perfect score, and they thought I was incredibly capable of joining. You see, I was given a gift of energy manipulation. Though it has taken much practice, I can focus energy into different weapons of choice, specifically my sword, as well as my secondary pistol. They make every swing and every shot more powerful than intended. It is quite exhausting; however, enough about me. I'm about to go in, and I have no idea what to expect.

As I came into the security guarded building, I had to give my fingerprint, as well as answer personal security questions. "Welcome to Overwatch." The lady at the front said with a welcoming smile. She pointed to the doors to her right and I opened them only to find myself in a bright room with two staircases. Signs pointed to the cafeteria, rooming, training grounds, and a weaponry. Sticking to the post with the signs was a wooden, spikey, homemade one. It pointed straight to something that said, "Junkie's Shop," in quotes.

"What could that mean.." Before I could analyze further, a bubbly voice spoke out, "Hey love! Welcome!" I yelled out in surprise watching the smaller woman before me disappear before reappearing behind me. "So sorry about that. It's a habit. Tracer here! We're so excited to have you." She gave me a firm handshake, smiling happily up at me. "I'm sure you're wondering what your first assignment is! Solider is giving out missions if you'd like to meet everyone!"

Tracer took me down the hall opposite to the "Junkie's Shop." I hadn't the slightest idea what that meant, but why was it here? We came upon a door where we heard a voice talking strictly. "So! The mission will take place in Dorado, so expect a long journey there. I've already picked up teams to escort the payload, so please listen for names!" The man who I assumed was Solider: 76 was talking. Tracer pushed me into the room, pausing as I saw a large group of people staring me. "Mates!" Announced Tracer enthusiastically, "This is Y/N! New recruit!" Everyone waved and greeted me as I sat in my selected section. We were all categorized by Tank, Damage, and Support. "Continuing on.." Solider: 76 said slowly before moving on, "We will be having, one tank, two damage, and two support this mission. Now for the names!" I turned to Tracer beside me, "Who is getting picked?" She shrugged and pointed to face the front.

"Our tank will be Zarya, two supports...so.." He sighed then looked over his paper, "Right, Zenyatta, Mercy, please come to the front." The three of them stood straight up and walked to the front, standing in a line. Solider clicked his tongue, "This is an odd pairing, but its a good start for our new candidate." He looked over to you, and called your name, "Y/N and.." He paused as you walked to the front. Reading the last name in a sigh, "Jamison Fawkes." He said before a very eccentric man stood up. "S'cuse you there! It's Junkrat! J-U-N-K..RAT!" The man moved up and you could see his entire body. He had two mechanical limbs, an arm and leg, and his hair looked singed from being caught on fire. He was shirtless except for an empty leather vest sort of thing where it looked like he kept his utility, singed camo shorts, a wooden peg leg, and a black boot.

As you he got closer, you could see his soot covered cheeks, and forehead, freckles dotting his face. "Nice to meet ya lass!" He called out enthusiastically, holding out a hand. You took it, shaking it sternly before standing to hear what Soldier had to say. "This is our group!" The room clapped and everyone got up to leave. You turned to see Junkrat, as he liked being called, staring back at you. He was taller even from his hunched over form from his peg leg, but he seemed very tall if he stood straight up. "C'mon shelia, cheer up! The mission will be swell. We'll come back with a victory!" He placed an arm around you, escorting you out of the hall to who knows where, but he was quite interesting, and you wanted to know more.

End Chapter 1

Words: 806