2. thirteen

"i am so afraid of losing something i love that i refuse to love anything." - johnathan safran foer

"Hey," Delilah answered the phone call from JJ the next evening.

She'd gotten bored of the apartment, reluctantly getting herself dressed and deciding to head into the mall to clear her mind and have some retail therapy. Delilah used to love being in the apartment alone without Liv. But she'd always been alone with JJ and it was hard breaking the routine.

So, she was being the kind of rich girl she hated and was spending her dad's money on shit she didn't need because she was bored. Though, she hadn't asked. Dave had been the one to suggest the retail therapy when he phoned to check in and had quickly transferred money into her bank account.

"Hi. We're finally done with the case and we're coming home soon," JJ sighed.

"Did you get the guy?" Delilah asked.

"I'll fill you in when I see you," JJ said.

"Text me when you're heading back to Quantico. I'll pick you up and we can have a sleepover," Delilah smiled to herself, rummaging through another rack of dresses.

"Oh my god, you're the best," JJ sighed. "I'm so exhausted and I just want to sleep but I won't sleep in my place because my place sucks compared to your place," JJ said.

Delilah laughed, picking up one of the dresses in her size and heading towards the till to pay.

"I know. Text me when you land," Delilah said.

"I will. Thanks, Lilah."

"Anytime."

Delilah sat in the bullpen two hours later, having got to quantico before the team did. Penelope had rang her, saying her location pinged at being at the BAU, and had told her to come up for a cupcake, which they were now eating in the kitchen while Delilah told Penelope all about her shopping trip.

"We need another one in a few days, when we're both off," Penelope said. "I need to see this shoe store you found."

"We'll make a girls day of it, drag JJ and Liv along, too," Delilah smiled.

"Oh, yes! So much fun!" Penelope grinned. "So, how's your week off going?"

"It's been nice," Delilah said.

"Did you do anything for Halloween?" Penelope asked, looking at Delilah innocently.

"I know you know that's my birthday. You can just ask," Delilah chuckled.

"Did you celebrate?" Penelope asked.

"I did. Uh, I went to Jacksonville to see some friends from home, got drunk, watched the Goonies. Flew home yesterday and took myself for some retail therapy today, courtesy of my dad," Delilah said.

"I want a rich dad," Penelope sighed. "My dad... Both of my parents are gone," Penelope said quietly.

"My biological parents are, too," Delilah said, grabbing Penelope's hand and squeezing it.

"Car accident," Penelope said.

"Heart attack for my mom. My dad... Well, I don't know if he's dead, but he disappeared. That's why I have my adopted dad," Delilah said.