~11~ Out with the Old, in with the New

This chapter was not proofread by our friend Knowledge Bear since he has experienced a loss in his life and is taking a break. He is one of my best friends and loves this story just as much as I do. Everyone, please wish him and his family well through this rough time, and remember to hug those you love :)

~

The awkwardness at the table was, if Sophie had to choose any word, agonizing. She sat on one side with Arsinoe and Darius, not touching her plate of stuffed grape leaves and seasoned fish. The gourmet scent wafting from her plate should've made her ravenous, especially after eating only military rations for the past four years. Arsinoe had some of the best cooks in the Vatarian world, after all. But her stomach's rumbling was a meek annoyance compared to the seething anger she directed at the Senate on the other side. To Vincenzo Esposita, who ate with an open mouth like a cow just to spite Sophie and the manners Maria drilled into her.

"Why am I here, your Highness?" Sophie asked through gritted teeth. Arsinoe looked up from cleaning her son's mouth to glance at the Senate with apprehension.

"They asked me to set up a meeting. They promised no harm would fall onto you if I did set it up."

Sophie snapped through gritted teeth, "And you believed them?!"

Arsinoe side-eyed the Assassin with a vicious warning, and Sophie quickly recollected herself.

"I am a leader, Amalia. A queen. Unlike you, I cannot afford to make enemies." Arsinoe sighed, returning to wiping her son's face.

"We can hear you two whispering over there." Vincenzo annoyingly shouted from the end of the table, lounging in his chair with a piece of grape leaf stuck in his beard.

Dear gods, Sophie would take the elven council over this.

"Why am I here?" Sophie started, just wanting to get poisoned or imprisoned by the Senate or go home already.

Senator Fausta gently tapped her napkin against her mouth, removing food that was not there, before smiling at Sophie.

"It has been a while since you have made land fall in our homelands. How was Inalia during your last visit?"

Sophie stared at the Senator like she had two heads.

"I... I'm sorry, are we remembering the same occurance? You all imprisoned me, chased me all across Inalia before Kassandra-"

"Amalia, I was being polite but I see it is a waste of time." Fausta cut Sophie off before she could even mention her crowning.

"It was a waste of time. Now, I don't know what we are doing having a nice little dinner here, but I am completely ready to fight my way out of this hall and disaper again-"

"You love Inalia, don't you?" Fausta's inquiry took Sophie by surprise.

"Yes? I love my homeland more than anything. Love my people enough that I am willing to fight people like you." Sophie gestured vaguely to the Senate, who all glanced at each other in mild offense.

Fausta did not look offended, however. She just smiled, "You may be surprised, but we love Inalia as well. And we want what's best for our homelands and our people. Just like you. We are not so different, Amalia."

Sophie raised an eyebrow, "You mean by allowing him," Sophie lifted her fork to point at Vincenzo, who smiled at the hatred in her eyes, "To run amok, you are proving your love? We all know his operations and the type of person he is. I am the only one who decided to do something about it. My family were the only ones who decided to do anything about any of it! The Neverseen, the corruption, the greed! The Morretti family line has been upholding justice for generations. Justice by any means necessary." Sophie spat that last part out specifically at Vincenzo, whose eyes flashes with unpleasantness. He remembers Maria cornering him just as much as anybody.