Chapter 23: Snooping - Part 3/3

Feeling a little defeated and overwhelmed, I turned to Cain's page and began reading. The page was detailed, speaking of his achievements and downfalls. As I continued to read, something caught my attention, Cain's age; it said he was only 25. So I went back to Calyx's page, and his age was 28. I sat back in the chair, a little confused as to why the younger son was Alpha and not the eldest. As far as I knew, it was always the older son who took the title of Alpha. So why was Cain Alpha and not Calyx? I remembered what Samara had said previously about the two brothers, and it never really clicked until now; it was like they were competing for the title, but why?

I put the history book down and picked up the diary; it was old, withered and used. I opened the book, and the pages crinkled. Page after page had been written on, it was almost complete, except the last few pages. I turned back to the first page and started to read the entry. This diary belonged to Cain's mother, Kasdeya. The first entry spoke of Cain and his training sessions to become Alpha; she wrote that he was thriving, that Cain exceeded their expectations, and that he was everything they had hoped for in an heir.

I flipped through the pages, scanning each one, only stopping when I found an entry on Calyx. So now I was left to wonder what incident?

I spent the day in the library, losing time as I lost myself within the pages of this room. Suddenly, I heard the library door open. I quickly stuffed the book into the desk drawer and started to walk towards the door. I looked all around, searching for the person that had opened the door, but it seemed as though I was completely alone. I walked out of the room and headed towards my bedroom; looking at the clock on the wall, I realized it was now 6:00 pm, and I needed to get ready.

Adela POV:

I was deep in the woods, far from my own territory, leaning against a tree and waiting for Calyx to show. It's almost time for us to go through with the plan, but I have to acquire something before proceeding. Finally, Calyx emerged from the trees; he strolled towards me, showing off and acting like a big shot. I played along and pretended to drool over him.

He stopped inches from me; his eyes roamed up and down my body. "Adela." He said in a low tone.

A slight grin pulled at my mouth. "Calyx." I had to admit, he was a good-looking man and skilled in the sheets, but he was a fool.

His expression became neutral. "Plans have changed; we strike tonight." He said bluntly.

I raised a questioning brow. "Excuse me? And why have the plans changed?" I asked, a little thrown off at the sudden announcement.

Calyx groaned. "Because Cain knows that I am up to something. I've noticed a few guards have been following me, and now a fellow pack member is interested in joining me, even though I caught her sneaking into a room with Freja. So, we follow through with the plan tonight. Have you gotten everything together?" He asked me.

"I am still waiting on something, but I'll have it before tonight." I was a little irritated with Calyx and this sudden change, but I wanted to get this over with anyways.

He nodded. "Good, Lazarus is preparing everything from his side and will be ready for tonight. Also, I've received word that Cain is taking Freja out on a date tonight, and I happen to know where they are going. So, I think that will be our best chance, to strike them when they are alone and vulnerable. I have one thing to ask you, though." He said curiously.

My brows pulled together, and a smile tugged at the corner of my lips. "What's that?"

"Why are you doing this?" He asked me in a deep tone.

My face fell, and I gave him a neutral expression, "I have my reasons." I said, not giving him an inch; he didn't need to know my reasoning for doing this.

Calyx took another towards me, and I stood up straight, my back flush with the tree. "And what are those reasons?" He questioned, with a dark edge to his tone.

I narrowed my eyes, and my wolf stirred in my chest. "None of your business," I said with hostility, refusing to tell him something that didn't concern him at all.

His right eye twitched a bit, as did his upper lip, but those expressions quickly faded, and a grin appeared on his face. "Ok, fair enough. Meet me here tonight at 10:00, and we will initiate the plan."

He stepped closer to me, but I didn't move or flinch, not wanting to give in to his teasing tactics.

I straightened myself and smiled. "I'll see you tonight, Calyx," I said seductively.

Calyx stood there for a moment, examining me; his eyes bore into mine before he smiled and backed away from me. I took a step forward, and he stepped backwards, still smiling. To be honest, I was a little weirded out by him right now, and he gave me this odd vibe. I turned around and headed back towards home; after I was a few feet from him, I looked behind me, and he was now gone. As I continued to walk, I began to go over everything that needed to be done to prepare for tonight, and I hoped that I would acquire the most crucial piece to this plan.

Freja POV:

I looked at the clock reading, 7:00 pm, and I was freaking out. I had never been on a date before; the closest thing to a date I ever had was with Erik. It was my birthday, and he asked me to go for a walk with him. We went into the woods, and after walking for a while, we came to a stop. A blanket was laid out on the ground, and a small basket on top of the blanket. Inside the basket was a small birthday cake; that was also the day that Erik and I became more than just friends. It was a fond memory, but a memory of the past and I had a different future ahead of me now, new memories to make with my mate.

I decided to wear a white t-shirt, black leggings and a pair of dark brown boots. I did my hair so that half was up and half was down. I put on little makeup, just some mascara; I didn't want to wear too much and never liked make-up. I checked myself in the mirror again for the millionth time and finally got the courage to leave the room, mostly because I didn't want to be late. I walked out of the bedroom and headed for the stairs.

As I reached the top of the staircase, I saw Cain standing by the door waiting for me. He looked so good standing there, wearing a fitted black t-shirt and blue jeans. My heart rate spiked at the god-like man standing there, grinning at me. I skipped down the stairs; excitement, curiosity and now lust all stirring inside of me. I reached the bottom step and walked towards Cain; he didn't move, just stood there watching me intently, desire gripping him tightly.

After a few steps, I now stood in front of him; his eyes roamed over my body. Cain's arm then reached out and wrapped around my waist, pulling flush against his chest. A possessive growl vibrated from his chest as his lips locked with mine, devouring my mouth. He finally released me and looked into my eyes. "Are you ready, my love?" He asked in a husky tone.

I smiled brightly, beyond ready for this, to create a memory with him. "Yes, I'm ready," I said with confidence.

He stared at me with admiration and satisfaction. A smirk spread across his face. "Then let's go." He stepped to the side and opened the door, gesturing for me to walk out. I glanced up at him, smiling, then walked out the door.