9

The following morning, I wake up alone. It comes as no surprise. The curtains are open, allowing sunlight to stream in - Sawyer's doing. I see blue skies and pine trees blowing in a gentle breeze outside. Another beautiful day awaits. Lazily, I roll out of bed and head for the main area of the house to see if Sawyer's up. As soon as I step into the hall, I'm hit with a delicious aroma: bacon.

I follow the smell into the kitchen, where I find Sawyer, dressed and ready for the day, standing in front of the stove. He notices my presence.

"Good morning!" He greets me, sounding extra chipper for some reason.

"Are you cooking?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yeah! I'm trying, anyway. This is our first official day of forever, so I thought why not start it off with a gourmet breakfast?"

I scratch my bedhead. "Yeah. It's a nice thought if we can manage it. What are you making?"

"Chocolate chip pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon."

It sounds a little ambitious for his first time using a stove. "Here, I'll help." I go to his side. Not that I've logged hundreds of hours behind a stove myself, but I'm sure he's clueless.

"It's alright. I've got it under control," he insists. "You can go take a shower if you want."

"Are you sure?" I ask.

He nods confidently.

"Well...alright then," I shrug and turn for the bathroom.

"Oh, hey, look out at the lake on your way through," he says with a smirk. I wonder what that's about.

As I pass by the picture window in the living room, I draw back the curtain and peer out. It takes a few seconds for me to realize what I'm supposed to be looking at, but then I see it. There's a cute little rowboat floating on the water near the dock. I can't help but laugh as soon as I see it.

Sawyer asks from across the room, "So is that what you had in mind when you wished for my boat, because I was thinking more along the lines of something with a motor."

"I will say that's not what I was expecting," I answer between giggles. "Remember, wishes aren't always exact!"

"It'll work for now. Maybe we can upgrade later," his eyebrows bounce suggestively.

After grabbing a fresh change of clothes from my bedroom, I hit the shower. Roughly twenty minutes later, I meet Sawyer back in the kitchen, and he's got breakfast laid out buffet-style on the counter. I'm surprised at how good of a job he did. 

"Wow!" I exclaim as I scan over everything. First on the line is a stack of pancakes with a bottle of maple syrup on the side, then a heaping pile of scrambled eggs, which are yellow and fluffy, a plate of crispy bacon, (he even put a paper towel underneath to absorb the extra grease), and a small bowl of strawberries.

"How did you manage all this?" I ask, my jaw hanging open.

"I don't even know!" Sawyer laughs. "Guess I discovered my hidden talent."

"I guess so!" I nod in agreement.

"Come on, let's see if it tastes as good as it looks," he hands me a white ceramic plate.

We grab our food, and before I can sit down at the table to eat, Sawyer suggests we eat outside on the porch. Though it's unusual, I don't argue. I follow him out the front door to our little porch patio table, which to my surprise, is now topped with a white tablecloth and decorated with a vase of wildflowers and a vanilla scented candle. Two mugs of coffee also sit waiting for us.