Thirteen

I had made a promise to myself long ago that I would never disappoint Michael.

But I couldn't help but feel like he was asking a little too much of me here.

I couldn't marry Dakota. I could barely be around Dakota.

My head was swirling, and it felt like my entire world just crashed and burned around me. Losing Michael immediately made me think of when I lost my mother. I was completely alone, and there was nothing I could do about it.

That was the harsh reality of the world - people die, people leave, and ultimately you're all alone.

I wandered the streets of Chicago, lost in my thoughts and lost in the mayhem of my new world. I couldn't believe that Michael wanted Dakota and I to get married. I still hadn't brought myself to open his letter. I was afraid that if I read it, I would have to go through with this crazy idea. It felt like a weight in my purse, begging to be opened.

It was getting late, and somehow I ended up in front of Dakota's apartment building. I buzzed the penthouse and waited.

Just as I was about to walk away, his voice sounded through the speaker.

"Yeah, who's there?" He asked.

"It's me." I said. I didn't know if he would know who I was, but I was afraid that if he knew for sure that it was me, he wouldn't let me in. The door buzzed and I pulled it open, heading inside and up to his room. His door was propped open and I heard voices coming from inside. I was surprised when I walked in.

Almost his entire family was here. His two uncles, John and Nathan and their wives, and the few cousins he had. I closed the door behind me and ventured inside.

Nathan spotted me first and grinned, coming over to hug me.

"Hey, Lucy! How are you?" He asked, squeezing my shoulders after pulling back from our hug.

"I'm fine. How's Dakota?" I asked, glancing around. I didn't see him anywhere.

"He's been drinking. A lot. I think he's in the kitchen." Nathan said. I nodded and excused myself, searching for Dakota. I don't know what I found so comforting about him these days.

I found him in the kitchen, working on a glass of whiskey while trying to get some food together.

"Hey." I said quietly.

"It's you!" He said a little too enthusiastically.

"It's me." I confirmed, forcing a smile.

"Did you see my family is here?" He asked, gesturing over his shoulder out the kitchen door.

"I did." I said, taking a step closer and setting my purse on the counter. I took the whiskey glass from him gingerly and set it on the counter away from him.

"Do you need help?" I asked, looking at his spread of meat and cheese.

"Nope, I've got it handled. See?" He said, showing me his masterpiece. I nodded, smiling at him and he took the plate out of the kitchen and announced that there was food. I leaned against the counter and placed my head in my hands, trying not to cry. It was no use.

It seemed like all I was ever doing lately was crying.

Dakota came back into the kitchen and pulled my hands away from my face.

"Lucy, don't cry." He said quietly, holding my hands. "You're too pretty to cry."

I looked up at him, surprised. He had never called me pretty before.

He turned and grabbed his glass again. I snatched it from him and downed it in one sip, the whiskey burning my throat and making my eyes water.

"No more of that." I said, setting the empty glass on the counter.