flustered moments

fanart goes to violetvulpini on tumblr, go check their profile out!!

Gus walks through the entryway to the graveyard, humming softly to himself. It's 11:57, so Matty should be here any minute. Gus heads to sit down against one of the toppled pillars, tapping an unidentifiable beat against his knees.

"Are you just gonna sit there the whole time while I work?"

Gus lifts his head, a soft smile pulling at his lips.

"There's that lovely personality!!" Gus stands up, walking over to Mattholomule. "Wasn't sure if you were gonna stand me up, Matty."

"Why would I do that? I want to be here." Mattholomule scoffs before lifting his shoulder slightly, a nervous tick he has, and hesitantly adding. "With you."

Warmth crawls up Gus' neck, his eyes widening. Matt fiddles with his fingers, not daring to look Gus in the eyes. It bugs Gus how Matty can find ways to disarm him so easily.

He coughs loudly and awkwardly, "Let's get started, yeah?"

Mattholomule nods furiously, walking over to one of the crumbled pillars.

They start moving the debris into the forest, carrying handfuls of rocks and lugging giant slabs of concrete, very few words passed between the two boys.

"Ready?" Gus says after Matt comes back from tossing the last rock into the woods.

"Yeah," Matt smiles at him confidently before coming to stand next to Gus.

Gus draws a circle in the air, a puff of blue smoke showing up before a 3D model of one of the illusionists shows up. Matt then draws a bigger circle, rock spurting up from the ground, filling in the lines of the model perfectly.

They both step back after finishing, exhaling in sync.

"You think it's accurate?" Gus tilts his head to the right, squinting at the structure.

"It better be. I'm not doing that again," Matt sighs, glancing around the graveyard. "We only have two more to do."

Gus looks over to Matty, the other boy looking at the two piles of rock left. He turns around, eyes locking onto Gus'.

"Yeah. Kinda sucks," Gus frowns, not daring to break eye contact.

Matt furrows his eyes brows, "Why? That means we'll finally be done. Don't you wanna stop coming here?"

Gus' gut twists suddenly. Matt stares at him with confused eyes, his gaze scanning across Gus' face for any hint of sarcasm.

"I mean... I guess I liked coming here and, like... hanging out with you?" Gus says it like a question, almost as if he's unsure for himself.

The golden sun peeks through the tips of the trees, making Matt's eyes glassy and his skin honey-like. His tousled hair dips in front of his eyes gently as he stares back at Gus. A soft pink spreads over his cheeks, the color matching his strawberry lips.

"We could still hang out. Like, studying or— or just to... talk. Or whatever," Mattholomule stutters out, suddenly looking down at his feet. The sudden lack of contact leaves Gus stunned for a second, almost as if he's missing something without Matt's eyes locked onto his.

"Yeah!!" He manages to spit out, his tongue laying heavy and useless in his mouth.

Gus snaps out of his trance, an idea slapping him in the face.

"Actually, we should do something after school sometime. Maybe head into Bonesborough or something!" He exclaims, a smile spreading across his face.

Matt goes stiff for a second, "I... can't. Not this week, sorry." He looks to his right, still avoiding Gus' gaze.