CHAPTER NINETEEN | FANCY/BREAK THE RULES

THE WEEK AFTER that came Sports Day, carefully arranged so that everyone would be able to attend without having to worry about exams. I wasn't really excited about it, if I had to be honest, I couldn't care less about Sports Day. Duelling wasn't a part of it, so I didn't have anything to attend for, but it still seemed appropriate to go, if just to cheer everyone else on.

I had to have some house spirit, after all. I'd been living in Lok for two years, and I'd enjoyed it thoroughly so far. Which was why I wasn't switching to the Sixth Form houses. I was too used to this.

The stadium was boiling hot, the heat of the late-June sun blasting its full power onto my skin. I silently casted a charm for protection against the sun's beams on top of the one I already had when I'd arrived. Just in case.

I had no interest in going around absolutely sunburnt for the rest of the summer. That wouldn't be fun at all.

Everyone was feeling explosive. Screams sounded from every corner of the stadium as the students on the field got ready for the one hundred metres sprint, and I could spot Adelina among the runners of this round. Adelina wasn't a runner by any means, but she was still fast as fuck. Athleticism was part of her blood, and everyone knew that.

Her name was one of the loudest among this crop of runners. Everyone loved her, and everyone in Lok, myself included, were screaming our lungs out for our best chance at a medal in this particular category.

Gwen was laughing besides me. "I've never seen you scream so loud before."

I shot her a glare. "It's Adelina. She's like, our one chance."

"Fair enough," Gwen said with a shrug. "When do you think Audrey and Lou are going to come back with their ice cream? They've been gone for a while."

"I bet they've gotten lost. I would look for them, but that means missing the sprint."

"Fair enough," Gwen mused. "I'm sure they'll make their way back by themselves."

"Who are you cheering for?"

"Adelina," Gwen said, flashing a bright smile. "There's no Sorren girls in this run. I'm not cheering for a day girl, for fuck's sake."

"Fair enough."

I turned my attention back to the field, where they were in position to run. The hollering was even louder now, with some semblance to a proper chant starting from a few houses. The Lok House one quickly reached my ears, and it didn't take me long to start yelling it too.

It felt like house spirit.

A few years ago, I'd found stuff like this ridiculous. I'd been the killjoy sitting in the corner, refusing to scream. But the excitement was transmitting to everyone. We were all on our feet, clapping and laughing and screeching in support of our friends.

I bloody loved it.

With the snap of a spark from the judge's fingers, the runners went off. Adelina faced practically no competition from the other runners, and finished the race with no doubt from anyone else. She was faster than the second runner by what felt like miles. I saw her grinning from the bottom of the field, and started whooping loudly.

She seemed to hear me, glancing over and offering me a grin. I flashed her a victory sign with my fingers in response. "Go Adelina!"

Gwen looked pensive, and was about to say something when the reappearance of Louisa and Audrey cut her off. Her expression morphed into one of mock outrage. "Where were you two?" she demanded. "You took so long! You missed the race!"