06 - One of The Kids

Oh, if she could, Sabrina would've punched Kiri dead. 

How dare that blue, giant girl ask Sabrina such a thing? They knew each other from birth! They shared a lot of similar backstory details! Kiri was supposed to be Sabrina Spellman's best friend, yet... 

"I can't believe she asked me that," Sabrina grumbled as soon as Spider walked into her room. "I'm not going, you know."

Spider watched his human friend's little scene—she must have thrown all her clothes on the floor in search of something to match the request, but obviously (and Spider could have told her), Sabrina didn't have any native clothing.

Honestly, he, too, was surprised.

When the group of friends got together to head out into the woods, with Jake Sully's blessing, which was a rarity, Spider didn't think they would get into trouble, certainly not caused by the birthday girl.

But, Kiri, without any shame, looked deeply at Sabrina and declared that they would not leave until the human dressed as a Na'vi to camouflage herself as much as possible since, with her scientist outfit, Sabrina always scared the fauna and flora from Pandora.

Sabrina was shocked by request and let out a nervous laugh, sure it was a joke.

"I'm serious, paleface," said Kiri in thick English. "You and Spider already draw a lot of attention, no offence," she told the last part looking at the boy, "but if you camouflage yourself, everything can be minimized, and I can do my exploration much more excellently."

Sabrina lowered her brows, frowning, and glared at the rest of the group. Tuk didn't seem to understand the seriousness of the situation and was tugging on Lo'ak's hand, wanting to play. Neteyam pressed his lips together with a look of pity but didn't comment.

They left the human boy to say a word of comfort.

"It's ok, Sabrina," he said. "It's just for today. It's Kiri's birthday.

The daughter of Dr Spellman looked from Spider to Kiri and walked away. She didn't look back once.

Spider watched because he was sure Sabrina was heading someplace to change clothes. But, when Kiri's hand pressed his shoulder, he noticed the situation might be entirely different.

"Go get her," said the Na'vi girl.

"She's coming back," he replied.

Neteyam puffed. "No, she isn't," he said.

And that was how Spider ended up in Sabrina's room.

"I'm not going," she repeated.

"Please, Bree," he said. "I know you want to train with Neteyam; will you miss it?"

Sabrina sighed; she desperately wanted to use her gun, and that day was probably the best opportunity, but if she had to change clothes for it, she did not know if it would be worth it. She crossed her arms in front of her chest, staring down at herself. She had nothing against the Omaticaya's clothes as long as they were not on her. The Na'vi women were beautifully shaped, with their thin torsos and strong legs. Sabrina was the opposite. 

It was fine for Spider; he was a boy that never really cared for his looks — he'd make any sacrifices to get the closest to a native. But he was muscular and robust. Spider was even tanned. Ironic considering his parents had been the white ones and Sabrina was the one with a Latina mother.

She debated revealing these concerns to the human boy but supposed he wouldn't understand. Sabrina couldn't remember a day Spider was ashamed of his own body if not the species the body belonged to.