08 - Wind and Wings

Norm Spellman knew his daughter was not much of a fan of mornings, so he let her sleep as long as she wanted that day.

The scientist didn't know that his daughter had gone to bed at a very late hour, so she probably would be much more thankful than he imagined.

Kiri's birthday night had been a success. Sabrina had enjoyed every second of it, from the kind looks of comprehension she and Kiri exchanged to the secrecy glances with Spider and the almost touches with Neteyam.

Sabrina suddenly woke, shocked.
What was she doing with her life?

Many parts of her life were messy, but she didn't feel ready to deal with most of them. However, after an impossible-to-remember but very heartfelt dream, Sabrina woke the day after Kiri's birthday with a goal: she would set things straight.

What were all those flushes and giggles when she was around Neteyam? Did they mean she had a crush on him? That couldn't be it. She already had a crush on Spider — that had her full attention, and it was going terribly; — if she added another boy to the equation, things would sure be an irreversible disaster.

Besides, there was a big issue with the fact that Neteyam was not human. Sabrina was fine being friends with the Na'vi; they were mostly fantastic. However, dating one of them seemed too far-stretched for a mundane girl.

"Oh, Eywa," Sabrina gasped, alone in her room. She was already talking as if Neteyam had asked her out! How could she be so self-centred to think he wanted her?

He was a prince to the Omaticaya clan — the firstborn of Neytiri and Jake, the Toruk Makto!

Sabrina felt regretful about her high self-esteem. That's what happens when I get enough sleep, she thought; I get anxious and ahead of myself.

When Sabrina finally opened her room door, ready to face Pandora and its mighty, she was surprised by what was standing in her corridor.

"Neteyam?"

Tall and blue, Neteyam looked really out of place inside the scientists' compound. He had a breathing mask hanging from his neck, the only different item he wore; the rest was his usual Omaticayna attire.

He also wore those headbands the Na'vi warriors used when flying their ikrans, which made Sabrina wonder if he was about to leave or had just come back from a flying opportunity.

It'd not be an issue if he had just returned because Sabrina was up late — almost lunchtime.

"Hi, Sabrina," he said.

They had a very significant height difference, but it never bothered Neteyam having to look down.

"Hi," she looked around, ensuring he was alone, "is everybody waiting for me or something?"

He was confused but quickly understood what she meant, and then he chuckled.

"No, no, that's not the case," he said, and Sabrina felt cosy just because he was speaking in English with her, even though out of all the Sully kids, he was the one with the thickest accent. "I'm here to ask you to go out."

He couldn't be serious.

Sabrina checked her surroundings once more, expecting to find Lo'ak with a video recorder and a laughing expression.

Alas, it was Neteyam and Sabrina alone. Not one single other scientist walked in.

Feeling nervous, the human girl shifted her weight from one leg to another. Neteyam widened his eyes as if only then he noticed what he said.

"I mean, I'm leaving to stretch my ikran's wings, and I thought you'd like to fly around," he explained uneasily. "Lo'ak already took Spider flying once, and I thought you might like to have the same opportunity."