II. A Serpent's Proposal

Dammit, dammit, dammit...

Madeleine sank into the empty throne on her mother's left. Her face burned hotter than it had that time she'd attended a black-and-white ball in a gaudy pink gown. (At least then, she'd had champagne.)

Something scraped her neck and her hand came away with a leaf. Titters echoed throughout the room. Madeleine restrained the urge to hurl herself out the window.

From the other throne, her father smiled mildly at her. She grimaced back and in doing so, accidentally made eye contact with her mother.

The Queen was most definitely not smiling.

Madeleine winced and mouthed "I'm sorry" but her mother's expression didn't clear. If anything, she looked even more unsettled. She hid it well, but Madeleine knew the determined tilt of her chin, the tightness in the corners of her mouth. That, and the tension hanging heavy in the air, a cloud of unease that even she could sense.

Madeleine wasn't the main source of her mother's rage. Something else had happened.

"Maddie!" Someone whispered. Madeleine dragged her eyes away to find... Adelaide? Her sister waved happily from a seat slightly below hers.

"Addy?" Madeleine's heart lurched. "What are you doing here?"

"Ma called me!" Her little sister looked delighted to be permitted into this forbidden world of adults and politics. But something cold crept into Madeleine's stomach. She turned back to the Queen, who stared ahead impassively.

"Mother! What's happening?" Madeleine tried to keep her voice low as she felt the prickle of gazes settling on her.

"Quiet." Her mother exhaled sharply. A moment later, she whispered back, her lips barely moving. "They're planning their move."

"What move? Who?"

"A new strategy. An attack." Her eyes narrowed. "One from behind."

Madeleine didn't have the faintest idea what she was talking about. She opened her mouth to inquire further, but a second look from her mother shut her up.

Confused and unsettled, she settled back in her throne and gazed around the hall.

The courtroom was a section of the palace she needed permission to enter. Since Madeleine didn't have the particular desire to spend her time in chambers that reeked of plots and schemes, she couldn't recall when she'd last been inside.

Looking around now, she realized it was even bigger than she remembered. The chamber was vast and circular with thick maroon carpet lining the floor and walls. Enormous arched windows displayed a view of wondrously-shaped rose hedges.

The room itself was divided into four sections supported by towering stone columns, each section with a raised platform holding enormous gilded thrones. The kingdom's respective flags were draped across the walls and an intricate chandelier of candles arranged to look like bleeding hearts hung from the ceiling. It dripped red-hot wax at random intervals, which dissolved before hitting the ground.

Sitting diagonal to her was King Lucius of Spades, an older and more rugged version of Luka. Luka sat beside him and he was positively striking in an emerald coat stitched with a pattern of gold spades that brought out the green-gold of his eyes. His copper hair was neatly combed, and he studied a piece of parchment, brows furrowed in concentration.

Perhaps she was staring too intensely, because he glanced up. Their eyes met, and his smile unleashed a million butterflies into her stomach.

She fought to keep her lips from breaking into an enormous grin. Oh, who even cares about politics?

Across from Luka were King Petur and Queen Evangeline of Clubs. Opposites in build, King Petur was even burlier than the palace guards and Queen Evangeline was so thin that Madeleine wondered how she could bear the weight of her enormous bejeweled crown. Roscoe and Vivienne Vittiore, the Prince and Princess of Clubs, lounged on smaller thrones. They were twins, and looked it, with the same high cheekbones and shiny golden hair, though Vivienne's hung in luscious waves and Roscoe's was cropped short.

Directly across the room, Dinah took a seat beside Queen Jia of Diamonds, the loveliest woman Madeleine had ever seen (sorry, Mother). As usual, Prince Devlin ignored his younger sister as she came in. He sat uncannily straight on his throne, as if carved out of stone.

Finally, the King of Diamonds reclined on the larger throne. King Yi was tall and angular, with long black hair held back with a silver ribbon, and a matching goatee. His beetle-black eyes glinted in a way that made Madeleine's skin crawl.

They glimmered now as he cleared his throat. "Now that everyone has arrived"-Madeleine glanced at Dinah but she only stared straight ahead-"let us begin."

Mother spoke, her voice full of authority. "You have been summoned here today to be informed of the state of our kingdoms. As the future rulers of Wonderland, it is time that you all get a taste of what is to come."

Good Lord. Madeleine's head was spinning already.

Mother made to continue but King Yi cleared his throat again.

He slowly rose from his throne. "Though you may already be aware, the outer territories are not being properly cared for by any of the four kingdoms. Conflicts along the borders are growing day by day, and the Red and White Lands are gaining power as we speak. We do not know if they are currently plotting an attack."

He turned in a smooth half-circle, an actor onstage addressing his audience. "Wonderland is in need of a dominant ruler."

Mother stilled. Madeleine blinked. A dominant ruler? That was unheard of since the beginning of Time.

"What is this, Zhang?" Mother spoke carefully. "We did not ever speak of this."

He held up a placating hands. "I am merely suggesting the best solution. For the good of Wonderland, we cannot continue this split of power between our kingdoms. A single ruler will unify us all."

"Zhang—"

"How do we achieve this?" Vivienne's smooth, accented voice cut through. Her lips curled. "War?"

The word seemed to balloon in the room. Madeleine shifted uncomfortably. She felt ridiculously out of place, like a child eavesdropping on a secret conversation between adults.

"A good guess." King Yi said kindly, as though he were a tutor guiding them all through a lesson. "But incorrect. For the sake of our people and resources, it is not wise to war amongst ourselves. I am sure most will agree." He spoke smoothly, inclining his head to each of the monarchs.

When King Petur nodded, Madeleine paused. What could possibly make the bloodthirsty, power-hungry King of Clubs agree to avoid war?

"Therefore, I have a proposition," King Yi said. "One that will allow us to determine our new ruler in another manner."

He paused. Roscoe rose to the bait. "How so?"

King Yi smiled, positively snake-like. "A game."

It was the last thing Madeleine expected him to say, and yet a voice deep in her head told her this was bad news. She glanced at her parents. Her mother's gaze was icy. Her father looked as lost as she felt.

"Well, a game of sorts," King Yi said, something feverish coming alive in his eyes. "Four rounds. Each round will be planned and held at respective kingdoms. The winner of the entire game will emerge as the ruler for all of Wonderland."

"And who will be playing this game?" Mother said. She smiled coldly. "Surely you know we are getting too old for such dalliances."

King Yi spread his hands. "What better way to build character than letting our future rulers play for themselves?"

The walls seemed to shrink in. Madeleine felt pinned to her seat. As the Princess of Hearts, she would be included.

"A game," King Yi repeated. "To determine a new ruler." He spun slowly, meeting each of their eyes. When his gaze fell on her, she found that she couldn't look away. "A ruler for all of Wonderland."

He grinned, and Madeleine could have sworn she heard the hissing of serpents.