III. No Pressure, Though.

"Hearts is not afraid of war." Mother's voice rang out hard and clear.

A heavy silence ensued. She was threatening them all. Even Madeleine could tell that much.

But King Yi's smile only widened. "Ah, I wouldn't dare claim otherwise! But you may find that in times of conflict, the weak tend to ally." He gestured to Spades and Clubs. "None of us desire war but if you insist on it, I daresay Hearts may be choosing the shorter end of the stick."

Another threat. "And if I refuse?"

His smile grew thorns. "This is in your best interests, Anneliese."

Mother surveyed the other monarchs and her expression darkened. "Am I outvoted?"

"It is time to give our children a taste of the real world," King Petur said. Queen Evangeline nodded.

"We do not wish for war at this time," King Lucius added, not quite meeting her gaze.

She was outvoted.

Mother slowly sat back in her throne.

"Children," King Yi said. It took a moment for Madeleine to realize he was addressing them. "Do you accept? If not, we will take it that you are forfeiting your kingdom's window in the game."

"I accept." Prince Devlin said at once, earning an approving look from his father that seemed to make him grow taller in his seat.

King Yi's gaze fell on Dinah and she faltered, folding in on herself. A half-beat later, she cleared her throat. "I—I accept as well."

"I accept," Luka declared, voice strong.

"We accept," the Vittiore twins spoke at once, breaking into identical devilish smiles.

All eyes turned to her. Madeleine looked helplessly to her mother and met eyes burning with suppressed rage.

The Queen dipped her chin ever so slightly.

"I... accept."

King Yi turned to Adelaide, but Madeleine said "No!" at the same time Mother snapped, "Absolutely not."

Mother let out a breath. "She is seven years old."

After a moment of silence, King Petur drawled, "To make it two from each kingdom, why don't we allow Prince Luka and Princess Madeleine to pair with extended family?"

Madeleine was glad Adelaide wouldn't have to be forced into the game, but she could barely think. Extended family? Everything was moving much too quickly.

King Lucius responded at once, as though he had known what was coming. "Luka will choose his cousin, the Duke of Tuskany."

Cousin? But Madeleine didn't have any...

Oh, hell no.

"Hamish Ascot," her mother announced. "Madeleine will choose her cousin, the Duke of Warbleton."

No, no, no, no, no—

King Yi's expression didn't change, but the glint in his eyes grew sharper. "We will make formal announcements at the ball tonight. There will be a ceremony to set things in stone."

And that was it.

Mother's expression was unreadable as she banged the gavel three times, signaling the ending of the meeting.

But as everyone began to file out of the room, she turned, and Madeleine glimpsed a look on her face that sent gooseflesh running down her arms.

"Mother..." Madeleine whispered. "What in the world is happening?"