PROLOGUE

A PAIR OF FEET LANDED HEAVILY IN THE GRASS FROM WHERE SHE JUMPED DOWN FROM. As soon as her feet hit the ground she continued to run. Rain beat down on their bodies as they ran as fast as they possibly could. A young Tarinne Alinac's feet slipped from underneath her and she tumbled to the ground. She didn't have a chance to even process what had happened as she was lifted up from the ground by her father Esai and dragged forward.

The family of four were running for their lives. All around them, things were alight with flames, burning everything that dared get in its way. The memory of her village on fire would forever be ingrained in Tarinne's mind.

Her father didn't release his grip from her hand until they were crashing into the town's pub. Tarinne panted, struggling to catch her breath. Esai and Raia Alinac were at the windows, peering out of them for any sign of danger. Her father's tight grip was on his axe, her mother held a sword.

At Tarinne's side was her older sister Kessia, who was doing her best to make sure Tarinne didn't take notice of the dead bodies that littered the pub. Her attempts were futile as the younger girl took notice, a scream almost leaving her throat but Kessia quickly slamming her hand over Tarinne's mouth to silence her.

Her father ignored the bodies and looked to his daughters. "Take her to the back and hide there," he told Kessia. He pulled out a dagger and handed it to the older girl.

Kessia looked down at the dagger and cautiously took it. She looked back up at her father, tears welling in her eyes as guilt began to eat away at her. "I'm so sorry," she whimpered. The man looked down at her, placing his free hand on her shoulder.

"Protect her," was all he said, his eyes flitting over to Tarinne. Kessia nodded once and her father went to the door.

Raia pulled the two girls into a hug before following after the man, the two adults going to defend what was left of their home, but knowing their attempts would be in vain.

Kessia took ahold of Tarinne's hand and pulled her to the back of the pub. Kessia looked around the area for a place to hide Tarinne and found a cupboard big enough to fit the small girl.

"I'm scared," Tarinne shuddered.

The older girl turned to her. "You remember what mom told you to do when you're scared?" She pointed to the pendant that was around Tarinne's neck. "Just grab that necklace and say the special words, okay?"

Tarinne nodded her head and Kessia smiled before ushering the girl into the cupboard. "Don't come out for anyone that's not me, mom, or dad, do you understand?"

"Yes," Tarinne said. Kessia sent her a final smile and closed the cupboard door. Tarinne gripped onto the necklace, softly whispering the familiar words to herself. She waited for her family to come back to get her out. Someone would come soon, just not who she was hoping for. But rather the person responsible for all of this. The person who would destroy her homeland and murder the majority of her people. The person who be responsible for the death of her sister that night. The person who would ruin Tarinne Alinac's life.

••••

I'm sure this prologue probably doesn't make sense right now but my intention is for it to be vague. As the book goes on, more and more things will be revealed until the full story comes to light. It'll all make sense eventually. Sorry for the slow updates. I hope you enjoyed. Stay tuned for chapter one! Vote, comment, and maybe even tag a friend who might be interested in this book.