16

𝐸𝓋𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑒
𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝓁𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓇...

"Mother why must you buy your silks and fabrics in the creepiest part of town?" I keep stealing glances over my shoulder at the exit door.

"Because they're cheaper here." She whispers back to me. She holds fabric that's stacked up to her chin. "And Doris is in need of business. They're trying to shut her down you know?"

"No I don't know! Because I never come here." I whisper back. The line moves and we are now at the register.

"Hello Doris! How are you?" My mother yells. I pinch my ear. Doris is 87 years old, blind in one eye, and can't hear a thing.

"I'm good sweetheart. How are you?" Doris smiles, flashing her gummy smile. "Keep it down some, you'll scare away my customers."

"Oh sorry!" Mother laughs. "I'm doing good. Look I've brought Evangeline with me." She pulls me closer and I give a small wave.

"Ah yes." She smirks at me. "How are you doing, dearie?"

"I'm well. Thank you so much for asking." I smile back.

Mother smiles and pinches my arm. "You know Doris, Evangeline is courting a famous bachelor."

I roll my eyes. "Oh mother not now!" I whisper.

"Yes, I read it in the paper. Sherlock Holmes." She smiles cheekily. "How'd you score that one?"

I shrug my shoulders and force a laugh out. "Oh I don't know. I'm just a very lucky girl I suppose."

"Well when the time comes and you need a wedding dress I have some fine silks stored in the back just for you." She winks.

My eyes widen. "W-Wedding dress?"

"Yes dear! How long have you and hot stuff been seeing each other?" She's a nosy one that's for sure.

"Almost a year now." Mother giggles.

"Oh! Then marriage is just around the corner!"

"Marriage?" I cough out. I clear my throat and grab Mother's bags. "We'll be going now. It was great seeing you, Doris."

"See you soon!" She waves. I can hear her humming the wedding march as we leave the shop.

"Well wasn't that interesting!" Mother laughs. My cheeks flush and I nudge her in the ribs.

"Mother, it's not funny!" I whisper.

"Relax kiddo! It was all just for fun." She places an arm around me.

"For you maybe." I scoff. "Personally I don't take marriage jokes too lightly."

"Why are you so wound up sweetheart?" Her voice softens.

"Because-" I sigh. " Sherlock and I have a great thing going here and it's not that I don't want to marry him. I'm just scared of it. I mean what if he changes? What if I change? And then divorce rates are atrocious-"

"Evangeline!" She shakes my shoulders. "Sweetheart don't let mine and your father's failed attempt keep you from happiness. Yes marriage is not easy but trust me when I say you and Sherlock are meant for each other."

I swallow hard. "You really think so?"

"I know so." She squeezes my chin. We start walking again and a familiar female voice catches my attention.