Gelfling River Anthology

Note: I was apart of a play called Spoon River Anthology, basically the concept was a residence of a Steam Punk themed town giving their last speeches before death. I won't really be using the steam punk theme, but I will be writing down the dead gelflings' from AoR's last messages before death. Might be in or out of order and will only be cannon deaths that we see in the show. Also, I'll do my best to make ot read like a script, but if it doesn't come across that way I apologize and it's not my usual format. Without further ado, please enjoy Gelfling River Anthologies!

————————————————————————

Mira

As a solider, they always tell you the day will come. The day that you drop your sword and return to Thra a hero, or a coward. I had always hoped to go out as heros of old would, if the day were to come...

Oh sure, they say in death you'll be satisfied. You'll have done your do diligence of a gelfling, to serve the righteous lords and crystal in all of their glory. You won't be ready to leave, but you have to be willing is what we were always told. For Thra will go round without you, yet the lords are forever, so your service to them in life shall be echoed for all of eternity.

That's what we were all told, what we all had hoped for. Well, what most of us hoped for anyway. Me? I...I hoped for life. For a family one day I could call my own. I worked so hard everyday of every unum of every trine to stand by the one gelfling who truly understood me. Who, even if we had to hide it for the rest of our lives, loved me for who I was. He didn't care that I was Vapra, or could out match him, or that I went against the very ideals he stood by his whole life...he loved me...

Or, at least I thought he did. Perhaps I was naive, just stupid and in love...but I thought he would protect me. But he wouldn't, and I'm starting to realize he never did. He hid me from his father and the guard, saying it was to protect me when really he was only ever protecting himself. He was supposed to defend me, defend us...instead, he only stood by, watching my final moments as I left Thra.

In truth, I can't blame him for all that happened that day. No gelfling was supposed to be in the catacombs under any circumstance. So, perhaps that would make it karma? Though, I wouldn't consider stealing the heart of the Captain's son and a few treats from a poddling cart to be crimes worthy of such retribution.

I tried to be good. To always present a smile to others and be a positive presence within the guard. If these are to be my final words etched into the story of Thra, I wish for it to imprint the values I deem fit rather than have one final pity party about me and repeat endlessly the one truth that every gelfling already knows; that Thra isn't fair.

Many in the guard called upon me to be a beacon of light, and throughout the torturous screams of the souls trapped here with me, I can still hear my name. If anyone is to ever question what the one who started it all wanted to leave behind, let it be this; what happened is done, move forward as life always has. Let the sparks of rebellion fly, and let gelfling be free of the chains that have shackled them down. Let not one of you be deterred, and live out the rest of your time to the best of you abilities. I pray here, in my prison, that one day all gelfling shall get to experience the happiness that I had back at the castle with my lover. That all may be joyous when the land be tamed by gelfling hands, and by no others. This, I pray to gelfling and gelfling alone, shall be.