The Weirdo on Maple Street

Forks and knives scraped plates as we all ate in silence. I sat in between Lucas and Mr. Wheeler, awkwardly eating my asparagus.

I looked up, noticing that all three boys were just picking at the meatloaf. They had been acting weird all evening, and Dustin had been on edge since he woke up this morning. I eyed them, watching each of them suspiciously.

"Something wrong with the meatloaf?" Mrs. Wheeler asked. Everyone's attention turned to her.

Dustin stammered, "Oh, no, I had to bologna sandwiches for lunch."

I raised my eyebrows, I gave him left over lasagna. He looked around and we made eye contact before he looked down sheepishly.

"I don't know why."

"Me too," Lucas chuckled.

"It's delicious, Mommy." Nancy piped up.

"Thank you, sweetie." Mrs. Wheeler nodded.

"So," Nancy started, moving the meat on her plate around with her fork. "There's this... special assembly thing tonight for Will at the school field. Barb's driving."

"Why am I just hearing about this?" Mrs. Wheeler looked up at her, shaking her head.

I shovelled some food in my mouth, looking between the two. Nancy fixed her posture slightly.

"I thought you knew."

"I told you, I don't want you out after dark until Will is found."

"I know, I know." Nancy started saying over top of her, "But it'd be super weird if I'm not there."

I put more food in my mouth.

"I mean, everyone's going." Nancy's eyes shifted to me.

Mrs. Wheeler sighed, looking over towards me. "Will Y/n be attending?"

I nodded, swallowing my food quickly. I cleared my throat. "Yes, ma'am."

"Just... be back by 10:00." She cut a piece of her meat loaf, "Why don't you take the boys with you?"

I opened my mouth to respond but got cut by a bunch of disagreeing at the end of the table.

"No! No!" They all shook their heads. Mrs. Wheeler looked at them, shocked.

"Don't you think you should be there? For Will?"

Mike suddenly choked on his milk and Mrs. Wheeler and I both followed his gaze to see what was going on.

Dustin suddenly banged on the table, making me jump as I looked back at him. I gave him a concerned look. Holly groaned, scared by the loud noise.

Dustin sunk back in his seat, smiling. "Sorry. Spasm."

We all looked at each other.

"What?" Lucas whispered.

Holly started to whine, shrinking in her seat. My face softened as I looked at her.