Chapter 17. Talk to me, Dad

"Direct hit!" ~ B.F.

The four jets started to make their way through the narrow canyon while Goose was listening to radio from his spot inside his jet. He felt his heart race as the four jets set their markers even though he wasn't flying. 

But his son was.

"First SAM site overhead." Maverick panted out over the radio and Goose felt his stomach do a flip at his friends words. However, he was quick to let out a sigh of relief as Phoenix stated, "Looks like we're clear on radar, Mav."

"More SAMs, three o'clock." It was his son's voice, and despite Rooster trying his hardest to act like he was okay, there was no hiding his nerves from his father. He couldn't describe what gave it away but there was something that told him he wasn't okay.

"We got two minutes to target." Bob called out over the radio as Payback acknowledged it.

"We're a few seconds behind, Rooster. We gotta move." And those were the words that made Goose's heart drop to his stomach. This is what he was afraid of. He knew his son was a great pilot, but sometimes he was too much by the book.

There was no response from Rooster and Goose was now gripping the seat in front of home, hoping that his wife would protect their boy.

"We're picking up two bandits. Single group, two contacts." A chill ran up Goose's spine. His son was out there with bandits and if he didn't pick up his pace he would die. Tears pricked his eyes at that thought but he was brought back to the present of his son's voice through the comm's

"They're headed away from us. They don't know we're here." Relief filled Goose, knowing that his son was okay and that the Bandits weren't heading towards him.

"The second those Tomahawks hit the air base, those bandits are gonna move to defend the target. We have to get there before they do. Increase speed."

"Dammit!" Goose shouted suddenly, startling Hangman slightly.

"You good, man?" He questioned, noticing Goose's distraught expression as his eye's stayed focused on the radio. He just nodded in response to the blonde's question, not moving his eyes from the radio.

"Bandits are switching course to defend the target." The Comanche voice stated.

"Come on, Rooster! Bandits inbound! We gotta make up time now. Let's turn and burn!" Payback was trying his hardest to encourage Rooster to pick up his pace. But it was no use, Rooster was still hesitating and he could've sworn he saw a worried look flash across Hangman's face.

"Guys, we're falling behind! We really gotta move!" Fanboys panicked voice came across the radio.

There was a beat of silence coming from the other side before Rooster let out a very breathy request. "Talk to me, Dad."

Without hesitating, Goose brought his mask up to his face. He spoke through the radio to his son as he tried his best to encourage him. "Come on, kid, you can do it. Don't think, just do."

There was silence on the other end for a moment before Payback's voice could be heard through the radio."Jesus, Rooster, not that fast!" Goose let a wide smile cross his face as he felt pride swelling in his chest. His son was going to be okay for now, but the mission wasn't done yet.

"Thirty seconds to target. Bob, check your laser." For the first time since the jets launched, Goose was worried about Maverick. He knew that his friend would be okay, he always was. But he was approaching coffin corner soon.

As Maverick announced his pop up, Goose listened intently to the radio as Maverick dropped his bombs on the vent shaft. He found himself listening to the sounds of the grunting pilots as they proceeded to hit their high level of G's.

"We've got impact! Check, direct hit! Direct hit!" Bob shouted over the radio as both Goose and Hangman let out a sigh of relief as the two of them shared the same look. They both wore a stiff smile on their faces, knowing that there was still one more bomb that needed to be dropped.

"Dagger two, status." Maverick called out in between gasps.

"Almost there, Mav. Almost there." Goose felt his heart rate begin to skyrocket as his son approached the target. Knowing that if his bombs miss, the mission is a failure. And the fact that there were Bandits heading for them. That was a little nerve racking too.

"Rooster, there's something wrong with this laser!" Fanboy called out in a panic and Goose's already high heart rate increased even more.

"Get it online!"

"I'm trying! I'm trying!"

"There's no time. I'm dropping blind." Rooster's voice was calm despite the adrenaline he was feeling at that moment. Goose was gripping onto Hangman's seat as he listened intently yet again to the radio.

C'mon Rooster, Goose thought to himself, if anyone can do this, it's you.

"Bull's-eye, bull's-eye, bull's-eye!" The voice of one of the officers shouted over the radio.

Goose and Hangman both let out an excited yell as they high-fived each other, holding each other's hands and squeezing them intently after. The two men were doing a slight victory dance.

They did it, they'd completed the mission. And they were all still alive.

It was almost as if Maverick could read his best friend's mind, because what he said next brought Goose back to his panicked state. "We're not.. out of this... yet." He spoke between gasps.

Coffin Corner.

They were approaching Coffin Corner and it was time for Maverick to prove just how skilled of a pilot he truly was.

"Here it comes!" Maverick warned as missiles begun to lock onto him and Phoenix.

Goose could hear Bob calling out where the missiles were and Phoenix and Maverick calling out their defences. He knew that this was going to be the hardest part of the mission and he hoped, prayed, that Maverick was going to be okay.

"Rooster, status!" That's when Goose remembered his son was about to join in on the chaos. His heart ached at the thought of loosing both his son and his friend. They were all he had left.

He knew that this mission was dangerous, but he couldn't lose them too. He clenched his fists tight and listened to the chaos that ensued with his eyes closed, taking steady breath's

A/N

We're getting close to the end besties. I'm gonna make this authors note quick cause I'm sick as fuck right now and I have a fever of 102 so yenno. I'm not live laugh loving right now.

Let me know if you have any likes or dislikes and I'll try to add it into my next chapter. And if not, I'll update again in 2 weeks!

Also, Happy New Year to everyone!

~ Jo