36

— ♡ —

               "Bail is denied."

               The gavel banging by the judge sealed the deal for Brayden and Bryan during court. They were handcuffed at the tables alongside Ricardo, and right behind the mahogany court bench was Jalea. She promised her brother she would be present at every court date and that Monday morning, she was there in support of her brother and Bryan.

               The bail getting denied wasn't shocking to Jalea with the case her brother and his friend was under. The DA presented to the judge that if Bryan and Brayden were running close with Justice that the two had contact with Justice's higher connects and labeled the two a flight risk. The judge ate it up and concurred the two should stay in the county jail until the next court date.

               "The arrangements will be held two weeks from today."

               The handcuffed best friend's stood with Ricardo saying a thing or two to them as the bailiff approached. Jalea stood up, walking closer to the wall and hugging the two, even if it wasn't allowed. The bailiff started to say something, but the words from Ricardo made him give them a little time.

               Jalea reeled back, holding both of their faces. "It's not over okay. I'll be here in two weeks. Bryan, are you sure you don't want me to call Desiree?"

               Bryan shook his head immediately. "No, Ja. He got more to worry bout right now."

               "She," Brayden corrected. "How you locked up and still not respecting her pronouns?"

               Bryan frowned his expression. "Man, shut the—"

               "Alright, times up." The bailiff interrupted.

               "Two weeks, y'all will see me, okay?" Jalea reassured, as they were walked to the back.

               Ricardo walked out the courtroom alongside with Jalea. "I know bail was denied. But don't get discouraged. We expected that to happen." he told her as they reached the elevator to go down.

               "Yeah. What's next?"

               "Arraignment. The judge will give the charges and the two have to plea that day. With the recording—"

               "Pause. What recording?" Jalea asked in confusion.

               "The voicemail. No one told you?" Ricardo questioned, eyeing the confusion on her face. "That night the robbery happened the kid that was beat called his girlfriend and she didn't answer the first call, so he left of voicemail. The entire thing was on there. The whole ordeal. That's the only thing that gave cops probable cause to arrest all three of them."

               "Three? What about the other kid?"

               "Since he can't remember anything, DA offered him a deal which doesn't give him jail time. Judge agreed feeling his memory loss was punishment enough."