𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

my best friend's wedding

( the day: i spent with my best friend )

liked by KACHOW and 107 others

VENUSFLYTRAP anybody playing out tn?

view all 14 comments

BIGMOON3    mum says i'm not allowed til i eat my greens
VENUSFLYTRAP embarrassing for a 35 y/o
    ↳ BIGMOON3 i'm 24 >:(

USER1    nah it's dead

USER2    bro it's a school night

GASGIANT    i still haven't recovered from the last time i played out 🥴
VENUSFLYTRAP aww is checo too much of
     a top shagger?
    ↳ GASGIANT that joke died the second it
         started, get a new one

KACHOW who u all dressed up for 🤨
VENUSFLYTRAP myself 🤨

GLUTEUSMAXIMUS    come over, we can get pizza
VENUSFLYTRAP uhhh i'm grounded...
    ↳ GLUTEUSMAXIMUS it's just me in
        ↳ VENUSFLYTRAP omw!!!

    ↳ GLUTEUSMAXIMUS    it's just me in         ↳ VENUSFLYTRAP    omw!!!

"Hawaiian?" I gag, snapping the lid of the pizza box shut. "You ordered Hawaiian pizza?"

Max is already glaring when he walks into the living room with two plates. "There's nothing wrong with ham and pineapple on a pizza."

"It's like I don't even know you anymore."

"Fuck off." Max lets out a loud laugh, gripping the plates a little tighter in his right hand so he can shove me with his left. He hands me a plate after, and I reluctantly pull a slice of Hawaiian pizza onto it.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix's title sequence is paused on the TV screen, waiting to be played as we devour our food. Max will tell everyone in the world that he can't see the hype with Harry Potter—that he thinks it's too nerdy—but he's always the first to request it whenever we have our movie nights. If you ask why, he'll pass it off by saying be only endures it because he knows it's one of my favourite films. The truth is, though, it's also one of his favourite films. Sometimes I wonder if Violet knows this fact; if she knows it like I do.

Max has never made me feel like I need to compete with Violet—that's my own doing—but, sometimes, I wish he did make us compete. I wish he'd test us on who knows him better, who cares for him more, who he should be with. I'm entirely confident that I'd win, but the thought of proving to our friends that what I feel for Max is more than just some narcissistic fantasy for him to forever pine only for me is too good.

Max moans exaggeratedly as he takes his first bite of pizza, his eyes closed and face turned towards me. "So tasty." He hums as he leans closer, opening his eyes and smirking at the sound of my scoff.

"You sound like an idiot," I mumble, chewing on my own bite of pizza. "Press play."

Max wraps an arm over my shoulder, pulling me to his chest as he squeezes me annoyingly. "Don't be moody, Venny." He teases, kissing my temple. "You can pick the pizza next time."

I wriggle out of his embrace. "I should hope so, too."

We're barely two minutes into the film before I can feel Max's eyes on me. Confused, I glance over at him through the corner of my eyes. He doesn't look away, not even when our eyes meet.

"Are you OK?" I ask, letting a nervous chuckle pass my lips.

"Have you spoken to Lando today?"

I blink at him, my heart stopping for a moment in my chest. I'm still not used to the lie that Lando and I have built—even if it was my lie to begin with. Max continues staring at me, as if blinking would mean he'd miss the lie appearing behind my eyes. My mouth finally catches up with my brain and I stutter over a simple, "Uh—y-yeah, why?"

"How's that going?" Hmm.

"Good."

"Good..."

We're quiet after that, the only sounds coming from the TV or our occasional chewing. My skin feels itchy again, like I'm running a fever and developing a rash just from the thought of the jig between Lando and me being up before it has even properly started. I think my biggest fear is the reactions from our friends if they find out it's all a lie—one that I forced Lando into, too. I wonder what my life would be like if I wasn't such a psychotic twat.

"Why?"

"What?"

"Why are you asking?" I elaborate, picking at a loose piece of pineapple.

Max shrugs, not looking at me. "I don't know, I just—" He hesitates for a moment. "It's weird; this thing with you and Lando."

I hope the laugh that leaves my mouth doesn't sound like I'm on the brink of a nervous breakdown. "Weird how?"

"I don't know," Max says again. "I just don't want you getting hurt."

I frown. "I won't."

"You know what Lando's like, Venny," Max continues with a sigh. "You both have been at each other's throats for like, what, ten years? Surely, you're a little cautious about getting into a relationship with him."

"Why is everyone trying to give me lectures about boys lately?" I whine, not thinking much about the fact Max can hear me. I ignore the way his eyebrows pinch in confusion. "Listen, I love that you're being protective right now," I motion towards him, looking him up and down. "Hot—" He snorts at the grin I flash him. "But you really don't need to be worried."

"I don't?" Max asks, not entirely convinced. His eyes have this sort of pleading look I've never seen before, as if he's desperate to know that I'm not putting myself in the line of fire. I'd look too much into it if I didn't already know his look is directly linked to the times that he'd been my shoulder to cry on after a rough breakup.

I nod. "You don't."

Max smiles after that. "Okay, good."

I nudge my shoulder with his, matching his smile. "You're cute, Fewtrell."

"I thought I was pretty... very pretty?"

Cringe. I'd somehow managed to block that night from my brain until now.

"Shut up."

"No, I distinctively remember you saying—"

"Shut up, Max!"

"—that I was soooo smart and very pretty."

"I hate you."

Max laughs, ruffling my hair before dropping an arm over my shoulder. "I love you too, Venny." Just not in the same way.