Chapter 1

She was always coming up with crazy ideas, but this had to be the one that was going to get us all killed.

I hoisted myself over the fence as Jackson hollered.

"C'mon Jen! If you don't hurry up, we're leaving you for the wolves!"

Inwardly rolling my eyes, I scampered after the group who had already made it to the side of the old hospital.

It was my best friend, Layla's idea to come here, to the abandoned hospital with Me, Jackson, Grace, Tim, and Emma. I consider them my friends but I only really know them due to their friendships with Layla.

"I'm coming!" I huffed as I caught up to my peers.

Layla gave me a quick reassuring smile before turning back to the group. "The opening is around the back, follow me."

We all nodded before pursuing her as we weaved between the trees, the Autumn chill sinking under my skin. I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head as we reached the structure's backside.

"The window is on the second floor up there," Layla nodded up to a broken window above us which had an old tree extending its branches near it, entangled into the vines adorning the old bricks.

"We'll have to climb up to get in but it's easy, Just watch me." I furrowed my brows at my friend skeptically as I glanced between her and the tree for a moment. The old thing seemed to be in worse condition than the building itself.

Emma seemed to be having the same reaction as she voiced my concerns.

"You're joking. That tree looks fucking prehistorically old." Emma crossed her arms, tapping her fingers on her coat sleeves rhythmically.

"Sure, it's seen better days. But, it holds up sturdy." Layla grinned, patting the trunk before swiftly hoisting herself up, branch to branch until she reached the window and peered down at mine and Emma's shocked expressions.

Layla chuckled before gesturing for us to follow her and hopping into the darkness of the building. As I gaped up at the now-empty window, Jackson, Grace, and Tim helped each other up the tree to follow her.

I slightly jumped at the feeling of a tap on my shoulder. Swivelling my head around, my gaze met Emma's surprisingly soft smile.

"You wanna go in?" She cocked her head toward where the others disappeared through the window. My expression relaxed as I took a deep breath and nodded my head softly.

"No turning back now," I muttered as I gripped branch after branch, slowly making my way up to the window. As I swung my legs through the gap, I landed with a soft thud on the concrete floor below me.

I turned around to face Emma who was just getting to the branch near the window. My eyes widened as I heard a sickening crack just as Emma was kicking her legs back to leap toward me. The branch abruptly plunged toward the ground as Emma gasped, losing her footing.

I quickly swung my arm out, catching her wrist in my grasp before she could plummet along with the branch. I breathed out a sigh of relief before reaching my other hand out to grab her forearm and hoist her inside.

"Th-thanks." Emma stammered as she caught her breath. I replied with a shaky smile as I leaned over, hands on my knees as I tried to compose myself.

I noticed Emma frown over my shoulder as we both calmed down and I raised a questioning brow as I stood up straight.

"I guess they didn't feel the need to wait for us." She huffed and I turned around to see that the others had already retreated deeper into the building, leaving us in the barren old room.