Chapter 2

Beep...

Beep...

Beep!

I gasped, my eyes snapping open as beads of cold sweat dripped from my trembling form. I brought a shaking palm to my forehead as I gazed, scanning across the corners of my room, "Just a nightmare...", I muttered to myself, jaw trembling as I stumbled to my feet, glancing at the alarm clock on my nightstand, blaring insistent chimes at me to wake up, I slapped the button on top of it with my free hand while using the other to try rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

Groaning, I staggered towards my bedroom door reaching out, and pulled back the frigid metal knob before stepping out into the open space of my apartment.

I reached my bathroom sink and turned the faucet before splashing my face with cold water. I shook my head with quivering breath as I looked upon my dishevelled expression in the mirror.

"Fuck, I look like death."

After drying off with a face towel, I wandered back into my living room.
I released a deep breath, turning to gaze out the floor-to-ceiling windows that revealed the morning light of Manhattan.
I loved watching the view of New York in the morning, how I can wake up to a city that never sleeps.

I shook my head, walking over to my apartment's kitchen, making myself a coffee before I went to take a shower,
taking a quick glance at the clock on my wall that read '6:36 AM', about an hour and a half until my shift starts.

I grabbed a coffee pod from the cabinet and put it in the coffee maker, and a mug from my college grad. I set the amount to 8 oz and leaned my elbow on the counter tiredly as the machine slowly heated up, I walked over to the fridge to pick up some creamer and pour some into the energy-filled mug and walk back out to my living room,
gazing out at the morning hustle and bustle of New York, listening to the distant sounds of hostile traffic.

Laying my mug down on the coffee table, I took a seat on the soft sofa and I let out a deep breath.

I listened to the tranquil ambience of my apartment, letting my mind relax as I looked around the humble home. I found my eyes resting on one of the many framed photos on my wall; a picture of me and Layla during karaoke night in the old bar I used to work at. I had a sad smile on my face as I looked at the photo for a few more moments, taking a sip from my coffee mug.

After I had finished my coffee, I lightly tossed the mug into the sink. I strolled into my bathroom, locking the door behind me out of habit. I breathed a sigh of relief as I took off my clothing, throwing it to the side and I stepped into the shower, turning the water temperature to a nearly-scolding degree so I could feel the hot droplets soothe my skin.

Once I had finished in the shower, I went to throw on my suit and coat as I usually did before work. I stepped into my bedroom, opening my closet. As I started putting my trousers on, I glanced to my left out of my bedroom window, taking in the view of my workplace at S.I.

It was a real stroke of luck that I managed to get a job at one of the world's leading technology companies, as the CEO's secretary nonetheless. I had always admired the view that my apartment had of Stark Tower but now, working there, it feels like a sense of accomplishment. I had gotten the job last July after one of my friends, Nat recommended me to someone she knew there.

I buttoned up my suit top, looking into my closet door mirrors as I adjusted it to fit my frame.

I can do this.