Don't Look Now

It's dark. You're floating aimless in an ocean of inky black. No pair or fear to speak of. You couldn't be happier. However, there's one small flaw with your sea of peace and serenity. Namely, the dull heat swaddled around your midsection and legs. Everything the heat touched tingles painfully while the rest of your body is cloaked in a blissful numbness.

At some point the warmth shifted to only a portion of your back along with the spots under your knees. Every shift and jostle brought you out of the darkness just a little bit, to where you weren't quite sleeping, but also not lucid enough to be considered awake. Sometimes you would try to open your eyes, only to be greeted with more darkness. And yet, you still couldn't sleep.

Soft noises surround you, a symphony of the faintest whispers. Shifting, shuffling somewhere just beyond your comprehension. Snow compressing underfoot, a subtle crunch with each step paired with distant wind whistling through the branches of trees. It all blends into a steady rhythm, lulling you back into the sweet warmth of sleep.

The sound of a door slamming shut by your ear instantly shatters the delicate limbo you are trapped in. Blindly flinching away from the noise, the side of your face presses into fabric. It's warmer here. Somehow you can still hear the muted wind without it pressing into your back. The scent of pine hangs in the air, accented by smoke and notes of fallen leaves.

Everything is blurry beyond belief, but you can tell you are multiple feet off the ground and moving. All you can see are warm, woodsy colors bathed in a flickering orange light. Blinking slowly, the rest of the world comes back into focus. From what little you can see, you can tell the structure is made up of just one room. It couldn't be that much bigger than a garage. There's literally the oldest kitchen you've ever seen at the far end of the cabin to your left, and what can only be described as a poorly decorated living room to your right.

Moving your head to rest against whoever is carrying you at the moment, a reddish brown jacket fills your view. Idly one of your hands moves to latch onto the jacket, the smooth leather apparent even with your numb fingers. A glance upwards reveals the edge of a mask, hugged closely by a dark gray-blue hood. Not a single glimpse of skin or hair was visible, not that you particularly cared at the moment.

The crackle of a fire reaches your ears just as you notice the wood burning stove set into the wall in the center of the cabin. There's a man knelt over the fire within, tending to it as best he can. The beige hoodie he wears is vaguely familiar, though you can't quite remember the details. With each stride you're getting closer to him, until you're hovering over his crouched figure. He doesn't once move to acknowledge you, not even when you are set on the creaky wooden floor beside him.

From your spot on the floor you get a view of a small pile of blankets resting in a basket next to a threadbare couch. The hooded man shifted his attention from the fire, moving to fish one out of the basket. It takes all your energy to turn your head to the side, just in time to get a glimpse of your unfortunate savior's mask as he hurries off further into the cabin.

It's an off white color, looking every bit as plastic as the one worn by your sleep paralysis demon. It retained the ultra edgy eyeliner look, surprised eyebrows included. However, in place of the painted on lips, it had teeth- a rectangle divided up into eight equal squares. It was almost reminiscent of how people usually drew robots, what with the boxy design.

Before your mind could wander off into the intricacies of the man's last arts and crafts project, an ever present and increasingly unbearable heat cloaks the side of your body closest to the fire. Everywhere you could feel heat, your flesh tingles and burns. Instinctively cringing away from the sensation, your great escape is put to an end by a firm hand on your shoulder keeping you in place.