part three.

Ember spent the next day after her support group in bed, rolling around and scrolling on her phone whilst cuddled up to her blanket with just a minor effect of a headache from the sniff of MD, but once the evening came and she had showered and ate, she felt fine again. She got dressed, carrying herself to the nearest corner store, lifting snacks and a can of diet coke, seeing the packs of cigerettes behind the cash and deciding why not as she requested whatever was easiest, it would probably make life easier. Lugging herself home, she was met with her Dad about to walk up the stairs, turning to see her as they crossed paths.

"Heading to bed?" she asked, her Dad nodding, "Big day tomorrow, bigger for you. Excited for your first day back at school?" he asked with a weak smile. She hesitated, seeing the hope in her fathers eyes, before smiling back at him and nodding, "Super excited, can't wait to get back to normal." she insisted, despite it being a lie.

He nodded back, before patting the stair frame, "Good, I'll see you tomorrow," he responded, "Love you." before taking himself up to his own bedroom. She breathed out a sigh, her headache seemingly getting worse at the idea of having to return to school, collecting herself, she went to her own room.

--

The morning had came, Ember packing the last necessities of her school bag before throwing it over her shoulder, wearing a pair of baggy jeans and a hooded jumper. She grabbed her keys and left the house, locking it. Last time she went to school, Luke was driving her on a regular basis, but now the bus seemed to be her only mode of transport, walking down the lane to catch it.

She walked onto the bus, throwing her hood over her hair as she moved to the end of the bus, sitting down and putting her headphones on and staring out the window, not wanting to think of anyones attention she had grabbed.

The bus pulled up to the school building, her eyes lifting from her Spotify to take in the sight, frowning as she watched the herds of students walking in. Swallowing the nerves stuck in her throat she got up, lifting her school bag and walking off the bus, eyes straight forward as she began walking towards the door of the building. Instantly, noticing people staring at her, trying to pretend she did not notice, walking towards the steps. Before noticing.

Luke Hemmings.

Luke sat on the sides of the steps, with his gang of meatheads around him and her old bestfriend Jen. Luke sat beside her, the two giggling and laughing together as he manspread the area, wearing his football jacket, with his dumb hair slicked into a quiff that he acts is totally natural. Her eyes were too late to move from them. As soon as she processed the sight of them, Jen noticed her, which was obvious from the loud squeal that came from her, making Ember almost jump.

"Ber-ber!" she called out, standing up and waving excitedly, Luke looking to Ember just the same, eyes widening slightly as he stood, fixing his jacket, just as Jen rushed over to Ember, trapping her in a tight hug. Ember gasped out, hesitating before hugging back, smiling weakly, "Hey, Jen." she replied shyly.

Jen pulled away, still gripping Ember's shoulders, "Girly! It's been so long, Oh My God, you look so good!" she laughed, Ember blushing and smiling, "Thanks, I-"
"I'm so excited, I missed you!" Jen pouted, Ember feeling herself being closed in by Luke's presence, walking towards her. She smiled awkwardly as Jen continued to ramble about how fun it was going to be to be back and all the things they would do together.

"Ember." Luke spoke firmly. He always had a way to stop time. Jen and Ember instantly turning to look at him, Jen smiling and stepping back over to the remaining of their friends to give Ember and Luke their space. Ember looked up to him, nodding, "Hey." she responded dryly, unaware what to say. Luke looked her up and down, "You look good. How was Italy." he hummed, making her only frown, "Oh great," she huffed sarcastically at his inability to accept what happened, "I got to wear shoes that didn't have laces so I wouldn't kill my-"
"Alright." he stopped her, shaking his head and huffing out a laugh, "Glad you're back, what's your first class?" he asked, walking her to where he had been sitting, lifting his bag. Jen doing the same like a puppy.