Chapter 28

Fifteen minutes later, Mason returned to the sealed door with the army's top bomb specialist at his side.

The 5'4" soldier smelled like the armory, and he passed me a dubious glance as he dumped a sledgehammer, a plank of wood, and a pack of explosives at my feet.

"Price tells me there's a door in need of my handiwork." Claus cocked his head at the solid archway. "This it?"

"Yes. And there's a bolted door beneath all that brick," I said, tacking on a nebulous, "I think it would benefit us to know what's inside."

He scratched at his greasy goatee. "You realize there's a riot going on upstairs, right? Psychos are storming the courthouse and beating each other bloody in the street, and you want me to spend my time blowing open a doorway with dwindling, precious resources...because you're curious?"

I sighed. "Are you saying you won't do it?"

"Nah, I'll do it," he grumbled, directing his attention at the mysterious dead-end. "But it won't be easy. Detonating anything in this underground hellhole poses a threat to public safety."

Mason shrugged. "We'll clear the area of federates. And unless your shrapnel contains vanadium, we don't need to worry about the Pans." He glanced at me. "No offense."

"No, you're right. It's worth the risk."

Claus inspected my face again, taking in the dried blood and tear streaks, and he swapped his ax to his other shoulder. "You should report to the Cap. He'll want to know you're okay. Sye too."

"They can wait."

He grunted but didn't argue. Apparently, his desire to demolish something surpassed any inkling of responsibility, just as I'd hoped. "Alright. Let's tear down the brick first. Then we'll see what we're working with."

I grinned, forever grateful for Tom's comrades. As awful as it was to lose my brother—twice—he could not have built a stronger bridge for me in this world of men and malice. His connections enabled me to succeed, to puncture the patriarchal ceiling, and I would never forget that. "Thanks, Claus."

He pointed a chubby finger at me. "If anyone asks why there's a gaping hole in the prison wall, I was coerced."

"Deal."

"Look at us

"Look at us. Blowing up water towers and ancient dams, and now we're here, detonating a bomb together under the capital," I cooed, watching Mason's face contort at my teasing.

"You sound real proud of yourself for destroying government property."

"Are you not?"

"Depends on what we find."

I rolled my eyes. "Just admit it, Mace. You like being a rule-breaker. It's thrilling."

He scoffed, crouching behind me to observe the hazardous corridor beyond. "I like winning. And your terrorism tends to favor the living."