Growing Pains

Chapter

Sassi

"Jesus Christ, where are the keys to the damned red Sebring?!" I yell out into the garage from the office.

Juice jumps up from where he's working and fishes them out of his pocket. " Sorry, Sassi. I forgot I had them."

"Get your head out of your ass, Juicy. We need to get through this shit by the end of the day." I damn near seethe at him. 

Yeah, we're spending the night at the clubhouse because we're swamped with work. Bri wasn't happy about it but Bridgette was elated. I wonder why...

"Hey, where're you off to?" I ask Bri as she tries to slip out of the office from her spot on the couch. 

Smacking her lips with attitude, she roll her eyes and retorts, "I'm going to take a nap. Is that okay?"

Sighing hard I glance around the office until I find Gemma, who is giving me a knowing look. That was the third time she got snippy with me just today.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we officially have a preteen and all of her attitude," Gemma remarks while walking into the office with a wry smile.

Gemma chuckles, the sound echoing softly in the room. "She's going to be a tough one by the time she's sixteen."

I lean back against the couch, feeling the worn fabric against my skin. "I still have a little over five years to worry about that. Her Mom made me promise that if something were to happen, Bri would be loved and well cared for. She'll be eleven next month. That was the age that everything started changing for me."

Gemma nods in understanding, her gaze thoughtful. "She'll get through it just like you and Jaycee did. Has to, she's the next generation. Happy won't have it any other way."

I exhale slowly, the weight of Bri's future settling heavily on my shoulders. "I don't know about all of that. She has a good head on her shoulders. I want her to graduate from high school and college. I don't see that happening if she settles for the first biker that shows her the time of day."

"They're not all like Daniel. Happy should have proven that by now," Gemma counters, her tone firm.

I shift uncomfortably, the mention of Daniel stirring up old wounds. "Can we not talk about him? He was exiled a long time ago."

"Sorry—sorry," Gemma apologizes quickly, sensing my discomfort. "Look at me and Clay then... Sure we have our moments, but we're more solid than most marriages in this town."

I offer her a grateful smile, the warmth of her friendship easing some of the tension in my chest. "You've got a point there. You two have been through hell and back, but you're still standing strong."

Gemma's hand finds mine, her touch grounding me in the present moment. "Happy is a good choice. He'll take care of you and that little girl. And everything else... That's just life in the club. It's never easy, but as long as you're a good old lady to him and he does the same in return, you'll make it through whatever comes your way."

I squeeze her hand in return, feeling a surge of gratitude for her unwavering support. "Thanks, Gemma."

...

After the last car is finally fixed, I find myself sitting on a worn-out couch in the clubhouse, a glass of whiskey in hand. Jax and Tara are lounging nearby, the dim light casting soft shadows across their faces.

"Just like old times, huh, Sassi?" Jax remarks with a smirk, raising his glass in a mock toast.

"Don't mention it! I'm honestly surprised that Gemma didn't try to push me back into your arms," I reply with a laugh, taking a sip of my drink.