Chapter 02

Carlos opens another page of the album and he shows a picture of them spending their first Christmas together in Carlos' family house.

"Oh how about this one? Do you remember it?"

Annie sees Carlos in his eyes. "Are you sure you wanna talk about that again?" she looks worried but Carlos seems to be fine.

"Yeah, why not? It's our past. We have to live with the fact that we were one of those people who were affected."

Before 1967, most southern part of the USA didn't allow an interracial marriage. Annie was born Annaliese Mary Allen, came from a white family while Jesus Carlos Hernandez Garcia was born from a Mexican family and moved to America when he was young.

"Yes. I do remember. I remember how you stole your dad's car just to make sure that I'm home even though you have to drive through a bunch of racist people neighborhood. Man, you were brave back then." She smiles. She holds his hand so tight.

"Oh no, I don't steal dad's car that night. I asked for his permission and he gives his blessing. But then he was like 'oh well, but if you die from those racist people, I'll be the first one to smack those little asses'. I mean, it's dad we're talking about." He tries to cheer on his lovely wife.

Their love towards each other is so strong that everyone around them can feel it.

Carlos opens another page to see the first color picture of them together on a beach.

"Oh, the first color photo because my family is too poor to afford another camera." Followed by Annie's laugh.

"Oh, and that was when you were drowning, right? You were lucky I could swim." Says Annie.

"I can swim. I just wanna make sure how much you love me back then." Carlos answers in denial.

"Yeah, sure." Followed by Annie and Carlos laughing together.

Just before Carlos opens another page, there's a knock on the door followed by 7 people who come to the room.

They are John -Carlos and Annie's first son, William- Carlos and Annie's second son, Gwen John's wife, Diana--William's wife, Annie, and Rose-John and Gwen's daughters and Jacob-William and Diana's second son. They come with a handful of presents to bring to Annie.

They're having a mini family reunion in a hospital room on Christmas Eve.

They bring their presents under the hospital bed.

"Since there's no Christmas tree in here, let's just pretend that the bed is the tree, okay?" says John.

Annie is counting them and looks confused and worried, "William, where is Junior?"

"Oh, he's coming late. But he'll be here. Don't worry mom."

John stands next to his dad and William stands on the opposite side of the bed while the other is sitting on a big couch.

"What's that, Dad?" William asks and John takes a peek on the album.

"Oh my God, is that you? Dad, you had a six pack when you were young? Damn."

Says John followed by William's response, "I told you we have great genes, bro." Everyone laughs in joy.

They all look happy, especially Annie. Surrounded by her family, her loved ones, on Christmas Eve. Nothing is better than that feeling.