Chapter 11: The Search for Answers

The next day at the station, Damien was having a difficult time processing his encounter with Dante. The strength that Dante had, the speed, agility, and knowledge that he had overwhelmed Damien to the point where he couldn't sleep or eat. Perhaps, the most important question was how did Dante know who Damien was? How could he know anyone if he was from another world? What did he mean when he said that Damien wasn't ready? And ready for what exactly? But indeed, the answers he looked for, he knew, would have to wait. The more pressing matter at hand was figuring out where Dante was and how could they stop him.

For most of the day, Damien spent his time in the training room. For him, not only was this a time for him to get in peak physical condition, but it was also a time to gather his thoughts and figure out his next move. He knew that he couldn't be rash and act impulsively. He would need to act more as if he was playing a game of chess and actively plot his course of action with Diamond, Cyris, and Christian.

"Hi, Damien," Nadia said as she walked in. "How are you?"

"Dr. Montgomery, I'm alright, I guess," he said. "Just trying to blow off a little bit of steam."

"Please, call me Nadia. Do you mind if I join you?"

"Sure."

So, she sat down next to Damien and began her exercise routine. The silence and tension between them couldn't be more awkward.

"So..." Damien started.

"I heard..." Nadia interrupted.

They both laughed it off. And then Damien spoke.

"Please," he said, "You go first."

"I heard about yesterday's encounter," she said.

Damien took a deep breath and let out a huge sigh.

"Yeah. Yeah, yesterday was very interesting. It was a disaster. The guy from my dream... it was him. It was really him. I couldn't believe it. And he was so fast... and strong."

Nadia looked very concerned at Damien. "Is that why you've been here all night and morning killing yourself in this gym?"

"How did you know I was here all night?"

"I stopped by your room last night after I heard about what happened. I was coming to check on you."

Damien got up from the bench press and wiped the sweat off of him.

"Look, Nadia," Damien said. "I'm going to go to the surface in a little bit. I've gotta do some investigating. All of this has been sitting on my mind pretty heavily. I could really use the company... and an extra set of eyes. That is if you're up to it."

Nadia couldn't help but blush. She smiled as she got up from the exercise bike.

"Damien, are you asking me on a date?"

He laughed it off but was clearly embarrassed. "I don't know if this would exactly qualify as a date. But I would appreciate your presence. I feel pretty comfortable with you and being around you."

"I would love to join you, Damien," Nadia said.

"Great! Meet me in the hangar in about forty-five minutes."

Nadia quickly agreed and they parted ways. Damien was more nervous than he cared to admit. He liked Nadia a lot but his fear of losing someone close to him again was more paralyzing than he could've ever imagined. But what could he do? He knew that he couldn't pass this up. He had to make a move.

Damien's mind pulled him in different directions. On one hand, he thought about what his time coming up with Nadia could mean for both of them. Could he possibly find love in this crazy world filled with pain and despair? But on the other hand, there was Dante. Damien knew that he was still out there and that he had a long way to go before he could face him. He wasn't strong enough and he knew it. How could he overcome that? Could he?